Any advice on painting the Engine

Yes do not get any paint inside the carb :goodnight:

Ok serious now,is the motor out of the car????

with the motor out it will be pretty easy,mask off what you don't want paint on or in,make sure the motor is clean and use some High Heat paint,or some paint from POR15.pretty simple and straight forward.

I personally have not painted any engines with BaseCoat/Clear so I can't
honestly say..........But I did paint one engine with Acrylic Enamel........
NO Reducer - NO Additives - NO Primer....straight out of the can.
The block was (acid bath) clean and I applied the color (76 Corvette Yellow) with a
brush...(2 coats). The paint held up extremely well. The only place the paint
failed was at the heat riser areas on the cast iron intake, It burned off.
The rough texture of the block and heads practically hid all the brush strokes.

Remember the block and heads don't get "that hot" as compared to Exhaust
Manifolds and Headers ..... the main thing to be concerned about is how "clean"
the parts are. If the engine is in the process of being overhauled I would
recommend painting the parts right after the machine work and a good acid
bath before any assembly is done. If the paint is applied and cured properly
cleaning any spilled oil off of it will not be a problem. But cleaning a greasy
engine so paint will stick can be.

JMHO....others may vary. ;)

I have looked at high temp paint, but my colour is not available!
The engine will go back unmodified, just cleaning, spark plugs and wires.
I was thinking about engine cleaner, brush wire and thinner to clean it.

Last edited:
I have looked at high temp paint, but my colour is not available!
The engine will go back unmodified, just cleaning, spark plugs and wires.
I was thinking about engine cleaner, brush wire and thinner to clean it.

A good engine degreaser will do. Wire brush and thinner will most certainly take the existing paint off. Iron Block?

Why not paint it an "engine" color? Orange, Red? If you put it back in without painting it, you might be kicking yourself later.

Your motor is going to look very nice once you get it all done and back in the car,and all the extra effort will have been worth it,post some more pics when its all done.

Unfortunately I seriously injured :crutches: my shoulder in the summer and am not able to work on the Vette jet:cry::cry::crap:. Hopefully within a couple of weeks I'm able to start again.

The same base / clear you use on the car will hold up just fine on the engine as long as it is clean and a etch primer is placed on it first. I have used base clear on about any engine I do because it is easy to clean, just hose it off with the hose.

Here is the engine in the vette that I painted last year when it was out. Same color as the back of the car and still lookes as clean.

DSC03874.jpg

Hahahah, noting spectacular. My daughter (7) was doing some tricks with some girlfriends, on the beach and double dared me into joining. When I (41) was doing a cartwheel my arm slipped in the sand and I went down like a brick, hurting my neck and shoulder, besides being nauseous and dizzy.

First doctor thought I had broken my collarbone (after telling me I'm to old for that stuff) and send me to the hospital for x-ray. There they tolled me (after telling me I'm to old for that stuff) it was severely bruised and I should rest my shoulder (full time dad of 3, no chance). After a couple of weeks in a sling and no progress I went to my own doctor. He tolled me (after telling me I'm to old for that stuff) it was a ??bursitis?? and put this giant ass injection needle between my shoulder joint. That helped after the 2de time, but I still can't put any major stress on it.

It is getting better the last two of weeks. Haven't been to the vette in 8 or 10 weeks, can't bare not working on it when I'm there. I have postponed my project for a year, but even that seems to be too optimistic. I'm in the stage I need a extra pair of hands for every task.

Hehe, I got the same treatment from the doctor when I went into emergency a few years back after falling off my son's skateboard and landing on my head and elbow...!

most important is that it's going to be as good as before - give it time, it could have been a lot worse....