Transmission, spend the extra $1000?

Jsup

OK, Pat Musi, who built my engine and his brother, who put in the motor, recommended putting in a Level 10 transmission. He raved about them

Now, I have heard some good, and some bad things about them.

It would cost me $1000 more than the Performabuilt I am looking at.

For that money I'd get a 3 Year Warranty, a SIGNIFICANT upgrade from the 1 year Performabuilt offers, which is a sinificant upgrade from the 90 day most people offer.

For that $1000 they will tweak the torque converter, and the vavle body specifically to the car. It would be "custom installed" and tweaked. Shift points and all.

Here's the email I got, for clarity, Pat, who is mentioned in the email, is the owner of Level 10.:

Hi John,
I had pat read your spec form and said he can build your 700r4 for the extreme power. Pat said the he is familiar with Pat Musi's engines and knows the kind of real power they make.
Here's the quote: Trans Build "your cost" $3098.00 List is $3998.00
The custom built converter "your cost" $998.00 List is $1498.00

+Set up

What do you guys think? Would you drop an extra $1000 to have someone "tweak" the trans for my setup and a three year warrantee?

I don't mind spending money, I hate pissing it away.

Performabuilt gives one year, then if it blows up it's $9XX to replace.

So basically, I'm taking a one blow up chance going with performabuilt before I'm behind.

Can a trans really be tweaked that much to warrant another $1000? This is the bottom line question.

Last edited:
I don't think it's worth it.. Considering NJ tax of $300 that's a $1300 difference.

Sounds like you are planning to race the car. If that is the case I would spend the extra $$$ for the extra peace of mind (three years is a long time). You might just blow the lesser tranny and end up spending the 900 plus on replacing it. If you want speed, power and reliability you have to part with some CA$H.

My .02

:beer:

Sounds like you are planning to race the car. If that is the case I would spend the extra $$$ for the extra peace of mind (three years is a long time). You might just blow the lesser tranny and end up spending the 900 plus on replacing it. If you want speed, power and reliability you have to part with some CA.

My .02

:beer:

Yeah, I know but here's the thing. I have had two trusted friends who know transmissions inside out look at the Performabuilt spec. Their comment was that it would be real hard to build a stronger 700R than what was speced. Putting in the most expensive parts, does not always mean getting the best parts for the application.

They also said what I am paying for is time to change out the valve springs. The stock Corvette shifts at 5500 they tell me. This is a street car, so Performabuilt can bump it up to 6K, and that should do it. Now, whether it's 6K or 5800, who cares, for a street car, and occasional track use, not that important. I mean we see people put rocker shafts and rev kits on motors that don't need them. I'm not much into that kind of thing. I like to spend money where it does the most good, an not on motor bling. I have skimped on nothing to date, and I won't skimp on a trans. However, I won't buy something I don't need like rev kits and rocker shafts if the application doesn't call for it.

I am having a hard time justifying $1300 to change out springs and get it from one person's opinion of perfect, to another.

IDK, that's 50% more for the trans seems steep....

The other issue is, Level 10 won't tell me what parts and pieces are in there. Which clutch pack, input/output shafts, sun shiled, etc....I have no idea, knowing that the Performabuilt uses all top of the line equipment, is at least comforting.

Lastly, Performabuilt seems to have a good reputation. Level 10, has sketchy reviews.

I drive the car 1000 miles a year, I don't know if the three year warranty helps on that.

Just some things I've been thinking about.

Last edited:
What kind of power that monster putting out? tqe/hp?

Street driving, 1k miles per year? Unless that your hard launching at every stop light, I think it may be a little overkill.

Besides, what good is a 3 year warranty if it takes you 5-10 years to break it in:D

What kind of power that monster putting out? tqe/hp?

Street driving, 1k miles per year? Unless that your hard launching at every stop light, I think it may be a little overkill.

Besides, what good is a 3 year warranty if it takes you 5-10 years to break it in:D

On paper the motor should be 550-600HP. I'm thinking closer to 600. Musi has a reputation of under estimating his HP and coming up with unexpectedly big numbers from his builds. I'm thinking torque should be a bit higher than HP. Won't know till I get the trans done, the car tuned, then dynoed.

He's having a good run as of late. http://www.patmusiperformance.com/index.php?categoryid=1&p2_start=5

Here's the performabuilt I'm probably going to order this week.
http://performabuilt.com/GMCars032008.html

Sounds like it is a done deal then.

Sketchy reviews for $1000.00? You're right, keep yer money in yer pocket.

To be fair, it's easy to get bad reveiws on the internet. It's probably a 100:1 ratio of happy to pissed people...I don't judge a company solely by internet bad reviews. Unless it's overwhelming.

Jsup, you talking 600 hp,....that is 600 ft lbs of torque.....

about 60% more than any 700/4L60 was ever built for at the factory....

surely some beefups are possible to increase the all important INPUT TORQUE RATING which is how trannies are rated NOT IN HORSEPOWER.....

so IMO....and YMMV in a 3300 lbs vette you can certainly use the tires as your clutch....but if you go sticky mickey.....well....you WILL blow the fuse.....

do a 4L80e build and kiss the problems good bye.....

not just bullet proof....GRENADE proof.....

WITH A COOLER.....

:trumpet:

surely some beefups are possible to increase the all important INPUT TORQUE RATING which is how trannies are rated NOT IN HORSEPOWER.....

so IMO....and YMMV in a 3300 lbs vette you can certainly use the tires as your clutch....but if you go sticky mickey.....well....you WILL blow the fuse.....

WITH A COOLER.....

I'd love to Gene, but that's $8K by the time I'm done. I hid $12K this summer from the wife to do the motor, I'm not getting away with 8 more for a trans.

If there's a way to do the 4L80 for $3K, I'm in....I don't think that's possible.

The Performabuilt Invinvible model has hardened input and output shafts, and all top of the line insides. From what I have been told, it's as strong as that trans can be.

This is a street car that will see track time once, twice a year, four times max...

WITH A COOLER.....

I'd love to Gene, but that's $8K by the time I'm done. I hid $12K this summer from the wife to do the motor, I'm not getting away with 8 more for a trans.

If there's a way to do the 4L80 for $3K, I'm in....I don't think that's possible.

The Performabuilt Invinvible model has hardened input and output shafts, and all top of the line insides. From what I have been told, it's as strong as that trans can be.

This is a street car that will see track time once, twice a year, four times max...

I am amazed you need spend that much bux to build/get built a L80....

when I built my own silly little 200 4r for some 500 bux and in the car....

so I think the 4L80e should be doo able for some 600 bux, and if I can build a auto tranny, so can you.....I bet....do any of your own work,?? have a sheet of plywood and a couple sawhorses?? have a work bench?? some C clamps and a GOOD set of adjustable snap ring pliars???

if so....buy a ATSG guide and do your own....TIM AT here knows them well and can build one blindfolded....

all I did wuz reed the in struk tion man ual......

:harhar:

WITH A COOLER.....

I am amazed you need spend that much bux to build/get built a L80....

when I built my own silly little 200 4r for some 500 bux and in the car....

so I think the 4L80e should be doo able for some 600 bux, and if I can build a auto tranny, so can you.....I bet....do any of your own work,?? have a sheet of plywood and a couple sawhorses?? have a work bench?? some C clamps and a GOOD set of adjustable snap ring pliars???

if so....buy a ATSG guide and do your own....TIM AT here knows them well and can build one blindfolded....

all I did wuz reed the in struk tion man ual......

:harhar:

It's the adapter hardware, it's the computer, it's the whole thing...
http://www.transmissioncenter.net/4L60E_to_4L80E_Swap.htm

Look at the bottom of the page.

Hey, If I can do a 4l80 for 3-4 grand, tell me how.

I have 2 small kids, and no time. I'll pay for the install, parts alone, $6K..

I have all the tools, and enough knowledge. I've built engines, and restored cars. I just don't have the TIME these days. I have a 2 car garage, with 2 cars in them. YOU wanna tell my wife she has to put her car outside in the winter, good luck, that alone is worth the price of paying for an install.

:bounce: I guess being RETired has it's advantages...sometimes....

I just cleaned out the 2 car garage not long ago, enough to cram the wife's car into it anyway....alongside the vette....and actually close the door....

time I got, money I don't....so as for those special adapters they selling there, I would have to re engineer the car somehow to get around that 600 buck part....it's maybe not the prettiest solution, God knows I not the neatest guy in the world, TimAT can attest to that....

:rolleyes:

I just cleaned out the 2 car garage not long ago, enough to cram the wife's car into it anyway....alongside the vette....and actually close the door....

time I got, money I don't....so as for those special adapters they selling there, I would have to re engineer the car somehow to get around that 600 buck part....it's maybe not the prettiest solution, God knows I not the neatest guy in the world, TimAT can attest to that....

Here's the deal, the Performabuilt is $2600 delivered.

I get $500 on my old parts.

That's $2100

Pat Musi's guy will put in my trans for $100 labor, cash.

Top shelf 700R for $2200, seems hard to beat.

See my problem?

That's $2100

See my problem?

$100 bucks labor for install....great deal.

That's $2100

See my problem?

$100 bucks labor for install....great deal.

YEH, that's cheeep as hell, no matter if it was in CHINA, let alone here....