verify my planning plz!

cajos1968

Guy's

I have the following in order in mind for coming weeks. Is this correct or should I change the order?

Engine (454) is out!

Clean up/paint engine compartment.
Connect transmission to engine
## Paint engine (done 11-12) and transmission (on hold).
New wiring engine compartment
** New front suspention bushings
Rework/install headlights.
Install engine and transmission.
Install radiator
Install engine and compartment components
Install rack and pinion

Lower the car

Continue Interior

Continue exterior

Last edited:
I would finish the paint before anything, certainly before the interior....

and really , done before the engine is in there makes it easier also, but it's not mandatory....yet another thing about my paint quandary, too much work....

:eek:

I would finish the paint before anything, certainly before the interior....

and really , done before the engine is in there makes it easier also, but it's not mandatory....yet another thing about my paint quandary, too much work....

:eek:

You mean, slapping paint on the body?
Like this?
cas%20017.jpg

Thats done ;-)

Damnit man, yeh, I saw that.....me jealous, wanna swap bodies???

I too, I dunno, tired or depressed, or whatever to be tearing into the vette body, it need paint something fierce, but I just don't have the charge in my pants to just DO IT.....and getting it done is a fortune....

maybe I can go to MACCO for a guesstimate....they shoot paint all damn day....

I had some luck a mate of my brother did this one. Cheap also. I have to say that if you make an appointment to bring it in, the force to finish it is great.

May the force be with you :noworry:

I didn't paint my trans. Only cleaned/rebuilt and buffed.

You might want to think about the heater core. If it needs changing, do it before you reinstall the interior.

Nice paint job!

I think I would position the R&P before you pull it, and finish it while the engine is out of the way. (Just me, never done it). I am also an advocate for finish paint LAST. Less chance for damage that way.:drink:

That is one of my "doubts" I would like to install it first but don't know if it is possible to place the engine then. I would like to install the engine with the tranny mounted.

Anyone with experience with this?

Regarding painting, the dollar (vs. Euro) dropped couple of months ago, so I took my shot to buy the Keisler set, unfortunately the car was just painted.

Last edited:
That is one of my "doubts" I would like to install it first but don't know if it is possible to place the engine then. I would like to install the engine with the tranny mounted.

Regarding painting, the dollar (vs. Euro) dropped couple of months ago, so I took my shot to buy the Keisler set, unfortunately the car was just painted.

When I had my body repaired and painted, the body shop would not do any prep work on the front end until the engine/trans was back in and the car running. Engine/trans was rebuilt with a new clutch/flywheel. They installed my BB with the trans mounted. They had it in no time without problems...but then again, they are experts at it.

Last edited:
r/Pinion is easy to install with engine in place, not a issue, for one thing you have the headers mounted and so can see the clearances necessary ....

not that much of a job, really...

once you know i'ts the '92 Grand Am rack that is....I had a hell of a time finding that out years ago....

:bounce:

I installed my R&P with the engine in the car. I also recently pulled the engine with the rack still in place with absolutely no problems. I even have a 7 qt. Moroso pan.

Guy's

I have the following in order in mind for coming weeks. Is this correct or should I change the order?

Engine (454) is out!

Clean up/paint engine compartment.
Connect transmission to engine
## Paint engine (done 11-12) and transmission (on hold).
New wiring engine compartment
** New front suspention bushings
Rework/install headlights.
Install engine and transmission.
Install radiator
Install engine and compartment components
Install rack and pinion

Lower the car

Continue Interior

Continue exterior

Look at Karstens' pix above really careful and you see that shark is a easy 2' off the ground in front, and you can also see the engine barely clears the rad support going in, and that's a small block, I have typically found a very similar situation and have given up on doing them together, finding it much easier to do the tranny, then the engine.......

:smash::bestwishes: