Sand the 2k primer

kwplot34

Heart Attack
before i shoot the base coat,or do i leave it alone???????????
and if i need to sand do i use something like 300 grit or higher.

You have options....

wetsand with 600grit and spray basecoat OR wetsand with 400grit and spray a sealer between primer and basecoat, you do not sand the sealer....

You must clean and degrease the car after wetsanding. Let it sit for two days to dry it, the primer is hygroscopic, in MO it might take longer to dry it.... here in FL I'd say 24 hrs in the garage and it's good for the next coat...

if you spray the base over the primer without sanding it'll most likely be too rough and it'll look horrible.

You have options....

wetsand with 600grit and spray basecoat OR wetsand with 400grit and spray a sealer between primer and basecoat, you do not sand the sealer....

You must clean and degrease the car after wetsanding. Let it sit for two days to dry it, the primer is hygroscopic, in MO it might take longer to dry it.... here in FL I'd say 24 hrs in the garage and it's good for the next coat...

if you spray the base over the primer without sanding it'll most likely be too rough and it'll look horrible.

Thanks Karsten,so more sanding in my future :cussing:

It's really not all that bad.... after you shot a few coats of primer you'll want to spray a guide coat and wetsand that anyways.... rattle can is ok for a guide coat as you spray very dry and sand it off anyways...

by the time you're happy with sanding and removing the guide coat you'll be using 400 grit already so it's not really more work.

At that point you can mask the car one more time, degrease and let it sit over night to get the moisture out of the primer. If you spray sealer or base/clear too soon the moisture will bubble the paint the first time you get the car outside in the sun....

Well since this the door jambs I'm doing right now i will only be dry sanding,after i get it sanded i will pull off the old masking paper and put on new paper to keep the dirt problem down. spray the base then the clear and put the doors back on.

This is now the perfect opportunity to see the difference between wet and dry and also get a good feeling for wetsanding ;)

You said you have that old hood, right ?? Shoot some primer on there and wetsand. Spray it wet and the water will "look" like clearcoat and it'll show all imperfections.

this is primer (shopline, same stuff you're using) that I sprayed wet with a water sprayer:

100_1709Small.jpg