C4 Rear Hub Recommendation

BBShark

Garage Monkey
Staff member
I see prices all over the place for rear C4 hubs, $70-$270. What's the deal?

Any that are known to be good/crap?

I replaced mine 4 years ago and GM wanted $440.00 per wheel for the OEM which is made by Chicago Rawhide.

I bought a set of Timken for $125.00 at Autozone.

They came in the Orange and Black box they were Timken

You may find some made in China for less. :eek:

Thanks for the tip on the Timken's. Looks like Autozone is $156.99 and RockAuto is $123.79 before the discount for the Timken's.

They are all crap really.

The stock ones weren't even designed for the Corvette, it was a generic application first used on a FWD sedan, and they use balls, not rollers. On the Corvette it suddenly has to sustain pretty high lateral forces, and also carries thrust loads from the halfshaft (which is effectively the upper camber link).

GM used NDH bearings originally, these were sold in AC Delco boxes and some early Chicago Rawhide boxes, but I'm pretty sure they are no longer made. In my experience they're more durable than the other oem replacements. Chicago Rawhide is now SKF, and they have a different source now. Timken sources someone else's bearings, they don't make these. I've gone through a few Chinese ones, they look pretty, but won't last.

Whatever you use, I think the consensus is some easy miles to help break them in will get you more use in the long run. I ran some of the Chinese ones at autoX and they were sloppy and boiled the grease out in two weekends.

I'm using the tapered rollers now. They don't have a track record yet, so only time will tell how they work out.

Good information.

Are the tapered bearing hubs made from re-machined ball bearing hubs?