C-5 starters

big2bird

Charter Member, Founder Bird-Run, Cruise-In Bird-R
So what's the deal on the C-5 starter solenoids? I here they trash at 50,000miles. Heat failure? Anybody know more on this?

I have not changed one yet. Have not heard of failures. I think they are the same as later C-4 starters, which are fairly reliable.

Well, it looks like John's headers did it it. Even some of the wiring was cooked bare. We reworked the wire, sleeved it with high temp sleeve, and replaced the starter. So far, so good.
I believe his exhaust temps increased after the blower install, as that's when his trouble started.

Should be the same starter that's on all LS1 engines..... never had a problem with the starter on my Z28.

Should be the same starter that's on all LS1 engines..... never had a problem with the starter on my Z28.

The headers really wrap around this thing. He did install a heat blanket this time.:wink:

What?? that thing must be tighter than shark puzzy under there...and that's waterproof....:lol:

Mine lasted for 80k miles. I just replaced it recently, loved taking the header off and the rest of the entire exhaust system to put it in... BTW I bought the Summit racing billet starter, it does not fit if your oil pan has wings... Though Summit thinks it fits all Corvettes... So... wanna buy a Summit LS Mini Starter? :eek: