What's up with distributors

cajos1968

It looks like my distributor is not going to live long. I think it's an Accel. I was looking into a new one but can see many differences mainly in price.

So what's up with distributors for a 454?

It looks like my distributor is not going to live long. I think it's an Accel. I was looking into a new one but can see many differences mainly in price.

So what's up with distributors for a 454?

I was never a fan of Accel stuff, for everyday street driving you can`t go wrong with a cast iron genuine GM points type distributor.

There's no such thing as a distributor for a 454 unless it's for a tall deck in which case you need one with an adjustable collar.

Just get a HEI and be done with it.

TT - ? what How is that thing called, spark plug wires come out and there is a shaft going into the engine block with a gear at the end.

I think what he is saying is that all V8 Chevy distributors are pretty much interchangeable...........

I was never a fan of Accel stuff, for everyday street driving you can`t go wrong with a cast iron genuine GM points type distributor.
Wow, Howard! I'm impressed with your integrity! This advice coming from a guy selling an MSD distributor. :drink:

TT - ? what How is that thing called, spark plug wires come out and there is a shaft going into the engine block with a gear at the end.

I think what he is saying is that all V8 Chevy distributors are pretty much interchangeable...........

Exactly, in Dutch: Cas, er is geen verschil tussen al die chevy verdelers voor small & big block muv een tall deck blok. Zoek je iets specifieks? Ik heb nog een hele rits liggen, wat HEI verdelers allemaal gebruikt maar ook een splinternieuwe MSD pro billet met corvette tach drive. Heb je alleen een ontstekingsdoos voor nodig omdat het alleen een trigger is en niet direct een bobine kan aansturen (er zit geen versterker in)

Thx. TT
I just don't understand that one dist. is 60 usd and another above 400 usd. I have seen Units for over 900euro's here!!!
I'm a bit confused by HEI and "stuff" I just need a unit that keeps my engine running. Does HEI improve anything or is it just "new"

900 Euro..yeah some parts houses here are insane. 900 maybe for an original transistorized ignition distributor, or one of those fancy dual cross things but not for a plain jane spiffy distributor.

Do you need the tach drive? HEI is very easy to hookup, all you need is a 12V ign. switched but ordinary HEIs don't have a mechanical tach drive. HEI is just simple and convenient, super reliable and no messing about with points. The only drawback is it's size.

I have an electrical tach, I didn't see/disconnect any mechanical cable.
But what is the difference with those expensive units, is there a performance gain or is it just build quality.

While on it can someone recommend spark plug wires?

Last edited:
The new MSD HEI units are about $150.00. They have a 21* advance curve, and accept all GM components. With the correct springs, they match the power book curve. I would, however, ditch the adjusstable advance can for a well chosen GM or NAPA unit.:)

I'm still in the dark about this one.

If I renew to stock I only need a new distributor.

If I switch to HEI I need a Distributor, Trigger and ??new coil?? But what is the greater benefit for HEI. Can I plug my laptop in and set timings with my mouse ;-).

I'm still in the dark about this one.

If I renew to stock I only need a new distributor.

If I switch to HEI I need a Distributor, Trigger and ??new coil?? But what is the greater benefit for HEI. Can I plug my laptop in and set timings with my mouse ;-).

http://www.customclassictrucks.com/howto/aftermarket_ignition_upgrade/index.html

every time you see the word "truck" think "Car/Corvette".....if you want a performance ignition buy a performance HEI distributor.

The HEI is completely self contained. The coil is in the distributor cap. Modifications to the HEI require changing the weights (inside the cap) to vary the advance curve and also changing the vacuum canister to vary the maximum vacuum advance. You'll need some advice from forum members to help change the weights or vacuum advance if required.

Also, you'll need to pick up a HEI conversion wiring kit. They are very cheap and will help getting the 12 volts to the HEI.

Have you tried downloading the General Motors Performance Parts (GMPP)catalog? The have "stock" distributors and HEI's and the spark plug wire sets.

If you download the GMPP catalog, DON'T look at the crate engines they have for sale. You may be enticed into wanting to buy one!

I have 3 or 4 perfectly working HEI distributors here if you need one cheaper than new.