Dead Cat = A Day Off?

Luster

Compulsively Anal
Just looking for some opinions here. Maybe I'm the one who's wrong.

My secretary... (Ooops, I'm old-school. I forgot you have to call them Administrative Assistants, or "Admins" now or you get sued!)...

Anyway, she calls in and said she was taking the day off because her cat died and they were having the funeral today.

Total :crap: in my opinion.

What the heck is she going to charge that to?

There's no place for "Cat Funeral" on the timesheet!

Hey, I love my dog and cat too, but GET OVER IT!!!!!

P.S. I forgot to mention, she's young. Young and spoiled... always got whatever she wanted, always comes in late and finds excuses for every time she has an "emergency"...

Believe me, I would fire her if I had the power, but there are political reasons she can't be fired and she knows it. (Daughter of one of the higher-ups...)

[RANT OFF/]

Last edited:
Generally if you want good employees to stay and be happy you have to make accommodations for them. Unless you pay them so much that they will put up with a shitty employer all for the money, in which case you are probably losing money paying too much. Of course since you said she is a daughter of a higher up that is a whole different story. To some people with few other things in life a pet is very important to them. Just take it out of her sick time or vacation time if she has none of that left then it should be unpaid.

Generally if you want good employees to stay and be happy you have to make accommodations for them. .

Haha.... yeah, believe me, if she was a "good employee", there would be plenty of leniency... not the case here! She's the type who is always looking for a reason to be gone. She always seems to be getting a little ill on Thursday afternoons... (many sick Fridays)....:bomb:

Haha.... yeah, believe me, if she was a "good employee", there would be plenty of leniency... not the case here! She's the type who is always looking for a reason to be gone. She always seems to be getting a little ill on Thursday afternoons... (many sick Fridays)....:bomb:

I hate the always looking for a reason to be gone...it gets to the point where you have to tell them "you don't want to be here so bad stay home for good" But it sounds like you are stuck with her.

I'm with the OP on this, I think work ethic is really lacking.

Just 2 weeks ago I was in a pretty sever car accident, adjuster said yesterday $15K damage to the car.

I called my wife, she picked me up, spent the afternoon in the hospital, picked up a loaner car from my dad, and STILL made it to my 3:00 meeting in NYC.

Fkn people look for any excuse not to do the job they are paid for.

NOT on my jobsites.....back when I wuz working .....contractor....series of subs and contract labor...only ONE guy was ever tossed for laziness, and a electrician for using push/stab wiring in the back of the switches/outlets...I seen to much of that let the smoke out....

:shocking:

NOT on my jobsites.....back when I wuz working .....contractor....series of subs and contract labor...only ONE guy was ever tossed for laziness, and a electrician for using push/stab wiring in the back of the switches/outlets...I seen to much of that let the smoke out....

:shocking:

It's really not good to let the smoke out!:lol:

Luckily we don't really deal with those types where I work. Our bosses are such nice people we don't ask off even when we should because we don't want to take advantage of them. We (the workers) also run off all of the "help" who DO take advantage of them.

Case-in-point: Recently my buddy came to visit from Japan for a week, but we had some new jobs starting up and things were kinda hectic, nevertheless I went to the owners (small company) and told them about it knowing that I only had two vacation days left. I told them that I just wanted to take those two days and asked when would be a good time that week to take them. They proceeded to talk me into taking the entire week since my friend would be sitting around bored anyway and since the pay period ends weekly on Tuesday, they worked it so that the two checks involved with that week would be just under 40 hours. I don't know many bosses that would do that.

if someone told me they needed to take the day off to have a cat funeral, ID have ask, WHY? how long does it TAKE YOU to throw a dead cat in the nearest DUMPSTER????