SS braided brake hoses - leak ???

MYBAD79

I had a leak at the connection from braided hose to the brake calipper and found the spot face for the copper washer was not clean enough. I used two copper washers and the leak stopped.
It was fine for three years but now I want to convert to O-ring pistons so I returned the bad calipper to the 'zone'. The replacement calipper looked good so I assembled with one copper washer.

It leaks more than it ever did.....

Do the standart hoses seal better ? I do not remember a copper washer on the hoses that I removed back in 2004....

Is this a problem with these SS braided hoses or the copper washer ?

The thread seems to be NPT so what is that copper washer for ???

Did you reuse the copper washer? If so, torch it hot and let it cool, then tighten it down again but better to us a fresh one. The threads are not NPT, the washer seals the connection, not the threads.

I did my calipers a while back and I stalled ss lines. It seems to me the surface on the caliper the copper washer seals on is machined in. It leaves a small ridge around the sealing surface. If the washer is not thick enough, the line side of the banjo fitting can rest on the ridge and not let the washer crush. That is why two washers worked. It raised the banjo up to clear the ridge.

Hi

I installed the SS braided lines with and without ( by mistake ) the copper washers and both types where leak free.

When I installed a set of the original rubber hoses, they also had copper washers with them.

Could it be the braided hose that has a faulty seat ? Your concentrating on the caliper only.

Rgds. Günther

I did not re-use used washers, they were new.

Hi

I installed the SS braided lines with and without ( by mistake ) the copper washers and both types where leak free.

Hmm..... the copper washer don't seem to be too important then....

When I installed a set of the original rubber hoses, they also had copper washers with them.

ok... rubber hose has also a copper washer.... good to know.... I did not remember....

Could it be the braided hose that has a faulty seat ? Your concentrating on the caliper only.

Rgds. Günther

It was not leaking with the first rebuilt calipper and two washers, now that I have a new rebuilt calipper and only one washer it leaks....

I'll convert the calippers to O-ring seals and then try again to get the hose connection leak free.... if nothing helps I'll buy som stock style rubber hose and see if the mating surface is different, maybe there's more contact area for the washer to seal against... dunno....