4L60E Question

Dirtbuster1

The 4L60E was used in both 6 & 8 cylinder cars made by GM. The bellhousing is different depending on the model. Is the converter for the 4L60E the same in all models. Looking at info on the web, there seems to be different options on aftermarket converters. Does anyone have a chart showing GM's options, or are all of them the same?

6 cyl converters are smaller diameter I think, when buying converters for this car they typical Dayco rebuilds were offered 2 ways....
corvette converters....or truck/car converters....

corvette was supposed to be about 2k rpm 'stall' and truck about 1400? much tighter, and when in gear the tighter truck converter creeps pretty hard on the gas, but I have 850 idle speed, and DPFI so the computer keeps it at 850 hell with the loading....have to hold pedal secure at lights....

so I wish I had the looser converter from that aspect....but on the other hand the lovely slap in the ass when Trans Go says SHIFT NOW!!! is a wonderful thing....greatly softened with a looser converter....

:nuts:

Probably not going to be the same for 6 & 8's. The idea would be to get the engine into the torque band and keep it there.

Aftermarket you can darn near spec what you want and get it real close. The guys that build those have got it down pretty good. How much to twist the vanes inside there and all..

Are we saying that the converters are different based on application for stall? Does this mean that the tranny internals are built the same? Just trying to confirm if the tranny is usable.

Thanks

I talked with a transmission repair shop today concerning the 4L60E. I was told that the pump shaft is probably a differnent length, and the servo's were different. I guess I will put this one up for sell & buy the V8 model.

I don't know about the 4L60, but the 700 used less clutches in 3rd (direct) on some applications. No idea why, since they had to add a thicker spacer to fill the difference.
I'd get another opinion on the 4L before you unload it too. "Probably" is not the same as "It is". And even with that, the input shaft and housing won't be a big load of cash to swap, compared to another tranny.

and take a look at the 700 thread by jsup- those 700's he's looking at might be where you want to be anyway. And that shop may be able to tell you about the input shaft too.

Last edited:
I would probably better to go ahead and sell the 4L60E, & buy the correct one locally. I then would have the correct bellhousing, converter, and the right internals. I can pick up a rebuilt one for around 500.00.

The 700R4 is still not out of the question.

Thanks