Body sanding......

mrvette

Phantom of the Opera
Old vette club member friend up the road and I went back and forth this afternoon about sanding my shark....

he thinks it should be done by hand, and in a x pattern to keep it even all through out....with 320 grit....I think that's just NUTZ and I will cancell the project if that's what it takes for a decent job....not looking for show quality, just that this car is very tired....

I stuck a addy in Craigslist for getting some help.....using a random orbital sander like my cheepie 5" Ryobi from Lowes Depot....
I got two replies from guys who say they can do the work, right here in my drive.....one guy is willing to work with me, but on a part time basis and I not sure what about tools/sanders....he lamented my compressor is too small to work his tools.... the other guy will just do the job with his gear and willing to bring over a compressor large enough to run the r/orbital? shop sanders with....I have the 220 line, no problem....total there to run 300 bux.....

so 300 to sand to glass, or gel, whatever makes sense....

then I have to do something about a sealer, then maybe sand it some more, then paint....

which would you guys do??

honestly, i'ts getting to be such a huge issue about painting this car...I just feel like forgetting about it....but the paint really really really SUX.....

:suicide:

Old vette club member friend up the road and I went back and forth this afternoon about sanding my shark....

he thinks it should be done by hand, and in a x pattern to keep it even all through out....with 320 grit....I think that's just NUTZ and I will cancell the project if that's what it takes for a decent job....not looking for show quality, just that this car is very tired....

I stuck a addy in Craigslist for getting some help.....using a random orbital sander like my cheepie 5" Ryobi from Lowes Depot....
I got two replies from guys who say they can do the work, right here in my drive.....one guy is willing to work with me, but on a part time basis and I not sure what about tools/sanders....he lamented my compressor is too small to work his tools.... the other guy will just do the job with his gear and willing to bring over a compressor large enough to run the r/orbital? shop sanders with....I have the 220 line, no problem....total there to run 300 bux.....

so 300 to sand to glass, or gel, whatever makes sense....

then I have to do something about a sealer, then maybe sand it some more, then paint....

which would you guys do??

honestly, i'ts getting to be such a huge issue about painting this car...I just feel like forgetting about it....but the paint really really really SUX.....

:suicide:
Everything i have been told and read in books and searching the NET says to hand sand these cars :huh: thats what i have done and it's not that bad,i would say the first sanding took about 12hr's. more sanding yet to come :skeptic:

300 bux to strip the car to the glass sounds like a fair price.

Right at the moment the wife is painting the dinning room and
constantly calling me away from the computer..........:crutches:

I know for certain there are enough posts in this section answering
all you other questions......big G has some good answers.

I must go :kissass: :yahoo: :D :sweat:

300 bux to strip the car to the glass sounds like a fair price.

Right at the moment the wife is painting the dinning room and
constantly calling me away from the computer..........:crutches:

I know for certain there are enough posts in this section answering
all you other questions......big G has some good answers.

I must go :kissass: :yahoo: :D :sweat:

You are one busy guy John :nuts:

mrvette...prepping is about 80% of the work that goes into a nice paint job. Now you know why guys that paint charge what they (I) do. No easy answers other than do it yourself or pay someone to finish it. Typically we bid a minimum of 160 hours labor to properly paint a car. It really depends on 2 things: what is your budget and what quality do you want? BTW, 320 grit isn't gonna get it done. You need a good dual action sander and at least a 5 hp/30 gallon tank compressor. I use 80 or 120 grit depending on how much paint is on the body. An eager beaver can razor blade strip a 'Vette in about 12 hours, if the paint cooperates. Good luck with the project.

Gene,

I had around 200 hours on my car in the paint prep. Had a beer party with some freinds with razor blades. Sanding with a DA with 80, then to 180 very carefully. Primed with the spray on filler for the razor scrapes, then went with the good primer. I proably took more time using guide coat than needed, but it was worth it in the end.

Do it while the weather is cooler. Once you start, theres no turning back.

Invest in a book or better yet a DVD on painting because if you think it sucks to spend time on doing it and it turns out wrong, then wait till you have to do it the right way or pay someone to do it the right way. You will really find out what the word sucks truely means.

Last edited: