How Come

kwplot34

Heart Attack
nobody warned me about how hard it is to get these damm doors off :cussing:

My plan was to take them off to paint the jambs,well the drivers side is off anyway :push:
Should i use a different paint here instead of base coat clear coat? i'm thinking that it might be kind of hard to do all the sanding and make it look right.
Any and all suggestions are welcome :thumbs:

I did not take the doors off.

I painted the doorjambs first with the doors open, then masked the jambs, closed the door and painted the rest of the car a few days later.

It is difficult to get in between fender and door, need a small gun and a 90 degree swivel connector :thumbs:

It will look better if you take the doors off, however if you spray metallic you want to spray the doors on the car so you can walk the entire length of the car with the gun... it is easy to get a different shade if you paint the two parts separately.

I did not take the doors off.

I painted the doorjambs first with the doors open, then masked the jambs, closed the door and painted the rest of the car a few days later.

It is difficult to get in between fender and door, need a small gun and a 90 degree swivel connector :thumbs:

It will look better if you take the doors off, however if you spray metallic you want to spray the doors on the car so you can walk the entire length of the car with the gun... it is easy to get a different shade if you paint the two parts separately.

I am not using metallic i am going back with the original color BLACK :wink: so what do you recommend to use Lacquer, or Enamel.I want to paint the whole jamb area while the doors are off and then put them back on before i paint the car.
I have the drivers side ready to paint,the bottom of the door where it can hold moisture and a very small area of surface rust so i took it down to the metal and used black POR15 on the bottom of the door.

I would recommend using the same paint on the jams that you intend to use on the rest of the car.

(1) Less expense than having to buy separate products.
(2) NO conflict of interest between dissimilar products.

Truth is the prep work is the same regardless of product.......If your doing it Right.

I would recommend using the same paint on the jams that you intend to use on the rest of the car.

(1) Less expense than having to buy separate products.
(2) NO conflict of interest between dissimilar products.

Truth is the prep work is the same regardless of product.......If your doing it Right.

So go ahead and base coat/clear coat the jambs then? I was just worried about being able to sand the base and clear properly so it would not look bad,i guess the only parts that can really be seen is the back of the door and the sill plate area.
I still would like to paint these areas while the doors are off and then put them back on to paint the outside of the doors with the rest of the car,will that cause any problems????????????

So go ahead and base coat/clear coat the jambs then? YES
I still would like to paint these areas while the doors are off and then put them back on to paint the outside of the doors with the rest of the car,will that cause any problems???????????? NO

Another approach is to paint the jams LAST. :huh: :bounce:

This is a common practice in production shops especially when only a section
of the jam is to be painted. Depending on the car........it can actually be easier
to mask the body than the jam. They would rather chance getting a little
over-spray on the body (which generally gets buffed anyhow) and have clean
jams than Vise-Versa.

So go ahead and base coat/clear coat the jambs then? YES
I still would like to paint these areas while the doors are off and then put them back on to paint the outside of the doors with the rest of the car,will that cause any problems???????????? NO

Another approach is to paint the jams LAST. :huh: :bounce:

This is a common practice in production shops especially when only a section
of the jam is to be painted. Depending on the car........it can actually be easier
to mask the body than the jam. They would rather chance getting a little
over-spray on the body (which generally gets buffed anyhow) and have clean
jams than Vise-Versa.

OK sounds like i am on track then,i have enough info to last me another day or 2 :smash:
I won't pester you any more tonight so you can check out the rest of the forum :)
But you need to check in more often because i think i am about to wear poor Karsten out :surrender:
Thanks for the help guys :thumbs: but i'm a long ways from done :push:

I won't pester you any more tonight so you can check out the rest of the forum :)
But you need to check in more often

I don't feel pestered at all :friends:

I had been vacationing on the Oregon coast (Seaside / Cannon Beach).
That is some Beautiful country up there. Drove about 15 miles into
Washington just so I could say I had been there as well. :)

I'm only a PM away. Though I may not check in here everyday
I generally check my e-mail daily.

But you need to check in more often

I don't feel pestered at all :friends:

I had been vacationing on the Oregon coast (Seaside / Cannon Beach).
That is some Beautiful country up there. Drove about 15 miles into
Washington just so I could say I had been there as well. :)

I'm only a PM away. Though I may not check in here everyday
I generally check my e-mail daily.

I appreciate that very much. With out you and Karsten to keep me straight this car might wind up looking like a zebra :eek:

Since you're going with black, you could do it like Henry did with the Model T.. Dip it in Japan Enamel. On second thought, I don't think they make that anymore.

Since you're going with black, you could do it like Henry did with the Model T.. Dip it in Japan Enamel. On second thought, I don't think they make that anymore.

That would be easier than all this other mess you have to go through :smash:

Hey Tim,on those extra doors you have,you wouldn't happen to have the spring for the upper door hinge drivers side would you :wink::wink:
I found out today why my door would not stay open,that spring was broke in 1/2 right above the lower bend :crap:

And would you have any more of that body adhesive?????????? ft drivers side fender lower part the bonding has separated,when i pulled the rocker panel off the the fender popped out

Last edited:
Kevin,

How did you remove the doors? Did you remove the pins, or remove the bolts that hold the hinge to the door?

Kevin,

How did you remove the doors? Did you remove the pins, or remove the bolts that hold the hinge to the door?

I removed the bolts that attach the door to the hinge,but first you have to disconnect all the wiring and when you get the door loose slide it back and slowly pull the wires out. I did this by myself,i put a boat cushion on my floor jack and centered it under the door to hold the door up,each door took about 20 min's to get it off the car it's not that bad,now if you want to take the upper hinges off you have to pull dash :cussing: to get to the bolts behind them.

Hey Bird,i ordered new springs for both sides and new bushings and pins,decided to just rebuild them while i'm there :huh:

Removing the dash is not quite as bad as it seems. I can have mine out in around 45 minutes. When putting your doors back on, try using 2 jack stands. Set the jackstands to the proper height, and lay some thick towels on top of them to keep from getting damage. They will slide right up to the hinge. Make sure to tape up the door & fender edges to protect them durring installation. While you are painting, I would go ahead and remove the interior due to sanding dust & overspray.

When we painted mine we sprayed the jams with the doors off so everything would be done to eliminate tape lines. I painted the backside of the doors 1st, then flipped them over to paint the outside. It's a PITA to clean up the inside of the door panels.

Paint & body work is not a fun job, but it's rewarding after you are done.

Yeah i am going to paint the jambs while the doors are off,and then put them back on,seems much easier to do it that way. I think :noob:

Yeah i am going to paint the jambs while the doors are off,and then put them back on,seems much easier to do it that way. I think :noob:

yes,thats the way to go. Most painter I know will not sand the jam. Just cut and polish.

yes,thats the way to go. Most painter I know will not sand the jam. Just cut and polish.

Well i have sanded them down,did some repair work,and still have more to do when the parts come in,and did some filler work,some of the old filler had cracks in it or was loose so i scraped it out and applied new filler and then sprayed sealer on the jambs.
I thought i would have this step done this week and the jambs painted and the doors back on :bounce: but i am still 3-4 days away from that :skeptic: i keep finding the ever so dreaded While-im-at-its :cussing:

Chevy put seal sealer at the all the joints. It will dry out in time and crack and even fall out. I would replace it with new to do a good repaint. PS: This is one of those While-im-at-its that you said in your previous post.:D

Danny

Last edited: