Adding an oil filler

big2bird

Charter Member, Founder Bird-Run, Cruise-In Bird-R
I am working on a project where the customer has bought the valve covers. He wants me to add an oil filler also. I have noticed most all stamped steel covers have the hole rolled, so that the same grommets from a cast cover fit the steel ones. Anyone got a trick way to add a filler with a thin grommet in a hole sawed hole?
If I knew beforehand, I could have drilled a hole in the alum manifold for the old 265 style filler tube. Too late for that now, but the valve covers are still off.
Suggestions?

Bird, I don't have a complete answer for you but I do know for sure that there are 2 different thicknesses pcv valve grommets for cast and stamped covers. Sorry, I don't have pn's handy. I don't think theres a grommet for oil filler, it's just twist in with a gasket. I also have 2 different depths of oil filler caps in my collection. If you do cut holes for the filler it's a good idea to build a baffle to minimize splash leakage. Don't forget to place the baffle where it will not contact a rocker. [I made that mistake once] John Hinkley points out in other posts that GM places the oil filler hole on a specific side of the engine according to engine rotation. Apparantly one side has less splash and is therefor less prone to speepage. I'll leave that up to you which side of the engine you think may have less splash in the rocker cover.
Frank

Bird, I don't have a complete answer for you but I do know for sure that there are 2 different thicknesses pcv valve grommets for cast and stamped covers. Sorry, I don't have pn's handy. I don't think theres a grommet for oil filler, it's just twist in with a gasket. I also have 2 different depths of oil filler caps in my collection. If you do cut holes for the filler it's a good idea to build a baffle to minimize splash leakage. Don't forget to place the baffle where it will not contact a rocker. [I made that mistake once] John Hinkley points out in other posts that GM places the oil filler hole on a specific side of the engine according to engine rotation. Apparantly one side has less splash and is therefor less prone to speepage. I'll leave that up to you which side of the engine you think may have less splash in the rocker cover.
Frank

HUH?? all engine rotate clockwise...NO?? yeh, have to, the differentials would have to be flipped 'upside down' to get the ring gear on the other side of the pinion.....I never heard of a tranny that reversed engine rotation in any forward drive gear....

I know the starboard engine in a boat is reverse rotation at the prop, but that can be handled either in the transmission or by a reverse cam, and starter setup.....

at any rate, I never heard of any differances in valve covers, they have always swapped R/L for me without any problems.....unless some accessory issue....

:stirpot::hunter:

Frank

HUH?? all engine rotate clockwise...NO?? yeh, have to, the differentials would have to be flipped 'upside down' to get the ring gear on the other side of the pinion.....I never heard of a tranny that reversed engine rotation in any forward drive gear....

I know the starboard engine in a boat is reverse rotation at the prop, but that can be handled either in the transmission or by a reverse cam, and starter setup.....

at any rate, I never heard of any differances in valve covers, they have always swapped R/L for me without any problems.....unless some accessory issue....

I believe that concerns the pcv, and the pass side "might" be less prone to pick up oil, but a "filler" would require no baffle, as I usually add oil while it's not running. Frankly, way up on top of the heads, I don't think it matters much.:tomato:

Frank

I believe that concerns the pcv, and the pass side "might" be less prone to pick up oil, but a "filler" would require no baffle, as I usually add oil while it's not running. Frankly, way up on top of the heads, I don't think it matters much.:tomato:

OH, you all talking about PCV sucking engine oil?? yeh, I had that trouble, and I found the only cure was that LT1 intake from a years ago...that cures the oil suck problem...because it's located in the intake, in a position like the old Poncho engines....top center enough of the lifter valley cover....

the old chebby location in my valve covers always sucked....

:smash:

:stirpot::hunter:[/QUOTE]

Of course all engines that we are concerned with rotate in the same direction. I just brought up the fact that John Hinckley mentions that GM differentiates where they place certain components based on engine rotation because, yes, the rocker covers are interchangeable.

Never mind, I musta misread summfin....sorry....:crap:

Gene from now on you are required to read each post 3 times and then think about for 5 min's before you can reply :lol::lol:

:stirpot:

If i did that i could save myself a lot of typing,because after 5 min's i will have forgotten about what i just read
:confused2: