How long to strip......

mrvette

Phantom of the Opera
Mae West.....:censored:

NO, but my '72 vert....with about 60 coats of Urethane on it....

seriously, I have no idea how many, but I assume something like 4-6 coats....

so by sanding, razor blading, or chem strip.....

I do all the chrome removal, hood off, deck lid off......how long is reasonable to get it stripped......down to the coat/glass whatever we find...but naked....

I figger ten hours for the whole car.....no body work....

is that reasonable, or am I nutz???

:stirpot:

I thought I'd be able to do it in a few weeks, 4 months later, I'm ready for primer. I had 7 layers of crap on there. I swore to myself over and over while my fingers were bleeding after sanding for so long, that I would never ever ever strip a car again. (Chemically or with a DA)

Media blast it.

Jeff is a smart man. :waxer:

OK, I have a garage, but no booth, I have a 5 hp 30 gal compressor, so how do I 'media blast'.....and likely cost of material to blast with.....I figger on it's going to be everywhere, so a super mess to clean up, how much of this will it take, and can it be shoveled up and re used???

:fishing:

You can buy a small 60lbs blaster at HarborFreight for less than $100. If you want to do this in your yard you can use regular sand from HomeDepot. Wear a GOOD MASK and google "silicosis" before you start....
I have use sand to blast a few items in my yard, the sand don't hurt anything... it's pretty much gone after the next rainy day.... they also sell walnut shells but that's expensive and will take a lot longer to blast.

If you want to drive the stripped car down here I can shoot the primer for you, don't need a booth for that as it will be sanded anyways....