Lighten a C2-3 Brake Caliper?

BBShark

Garage Monkey
Staff member
I saw a picture recently of a C2 racer with J-56 calipers and it looked as though the outside surface of the caliper had been smoothed and re-shaped. I'm going to guess that this was done to save weight.

Started me thinking. It would be possible to machine the casting and remove a fair amount of weight if you had the bare castings.

Is anyone doing this?

Do you mean this one? This is a stock caliper drilled for j56 style dual pins (can't see if it uses the insulated pistons) with spacers for the wider rotor and machined for wheel clearance

24901cd638af3e.jpg

I can see machine for clearance, but that spacer there makes me cringe....

I can't see i'ts saving any weight, maybe 6-8 ounces....IF that....

I should go weigh my tires, and see what is lighter and heavier.....

another thread....

What's wrong with the spacers? They are just simple blocks spacing the 2 halves apart, the whole deal is still held by only 2 bolts, no big deal, just like stock.

What do you think the silver colored things are here? YUP! spacers
pic_big.jpg

What's wrong with the spacers? They are just simple blocks spacing the 2 halves apart, the whole deal is still held by only 2 bolts, no big deal, just like stock.

Marck, I think he is talking about the cast wheel spacer.......I believe these guys are using SSBC (heavy) stainless non insulated pistons.

Larry, one thing to remember about "vintage racing" image is everything.....also remember most cars are prepared by a prep shop so if the prep shop guy isn`t selling you parts he is NOT making any money.

Marck, I think he is talking about the cast wheel spacer.......I believe these guys are using SSBC (heavy) stainless non insulated pistons.

Larry, one thing to remember about "vintage racing" image is everything.....also remember most cars are prepared by a prep shop so if the prep shop guy isn`t selling you parts he is NOT making any money.

YUP, WHEEL spacer, I remember pulling a wheel off some car, years ago and finding the nutz loose enough, and that type spacer fractured into nothingness.....it was a solid axel car is all I remember, in the rear, and some kid owning it.....ever since then....I cringe at the site of them....

I even dubious over the laid in machined custom made GOOD aluminum types

But this is about calipers....I see no problems with the spacers in the calipers, just wish I had some actual weight comparos to do by from some other stock/AFFORDABLE possible replacement out of Aluminum....
as to wether it's worth the bother or not....car stops great NOW....for a street machine I wonder if even my cheep way out is worth it....

:skeptic::thumbs:

Howard, I think you could remove a fair amount of weight from a C2/3 caliper with CNC. But I'm going to guess that the only reason that someone would do this is for vintage racing where modified/stock calipers are allowed/required (don't know if this is even true).

I have never seen any C2/3 calipers split open but I'll bet you could really lighten up a set from the inside and still keep the OEM look:wink:

The caliper halves are "hollow" between the bores, not much to remove there. I'll take a pic if I don't forget it.

Hi

This type wheel spacers should be forbidden by law.

They are not even centered to the wheel axle and float kind of around.

I had similar once installed to my 68 with the spoke wire rims and nearly couldn't remove the back wheels anymore due to bent wheel studs.

I now have correct spacers that center on the axle and hold the rims centered as well.

The wheel studs/bolts should not take any vertical load, just hold the rim against.
The vertical loads should be taken by the correctly centered axle.

To save wheight on the calipers, I can't see to be able to shave a lot of the cast units.
Why not install alu calipers to save weight ?

Rgds. Günther

I just weighed an assembled caliper at 12lbs. I guess each half (bare casting) is 4.5-5lbs. From looking at your picture, you could probably safely remove ~25%. That puts you at 3.38-3.75lbs. That's a lot of work to save ~3lbs per caliper.