Best epoxy sealer?

enkeivette

PPG? DuPont? Does HOK make one? I've been told to use SPI, but my local supply shops don't carry it.

Also, are all epoxy primers also sealers? Or is there a difference?

Also, since I'm not stripping the jambs, just sanding them, can I get away with spraying just an epoxy sealer over the old sanded paint? As opposed to using epoxy and polyester surfacer like I'm doing on the rest of the car.

PPG? DuPont? Does HOK make one? I've been told to use SPI, but my local supply shops don't carry it.

Also, are all epoxy primers also sealers? Or is there a difference?

I use PPG as a primer and a sealer. Just thin it a little more for a sealer. Yes you can seal the Jams with the epoxy in fact it is important that old paint be sealed so the new won't interact with the old. Just makes it a much better paint job. http://www.custom-aerosol.com/pdf/PPG-DPLF-epoxy-primer-product-sheet.pdf

Danny

Last edited:
On the jambs: if you sanded thru the clear into the basecoat you must seal it, otherwise the reducer that's in the basecoat (the new basecoat) might soften and/or bubble the old basecoat.

PPG DP epoxy is awesome stuff but very expensive.

I am using TCP global "Kustomshop" DTM epoxy (direct to metal), it's $120 or so for a gallon incl. activator.

When you spray epoxy for the first time you will notice the fumes are a lot stronger.... be careful with that stuff....

The paint shop guy recommended that I go with a PPG epoxy primer and reduce it for use as a sealer. So here's the final list of what will go on after the Slick Sand (Evercoat) is block sanded.

BC25 Base HOK 1 Gal
PBC43 Pearl HOK 1 Gal
RU312 (Slow Reducer) 3 Gals
UC35-G17 Kosmic Clear 1 Gal
KU151-Q00 HOK Catalyst 2 Quarts (Does this mix in with the clear 2:1 ratio?)
PPG DP90LF04 Epoxy 2 Quarts
DP402LF04 Catalyst 2 Quarts

My understanding is that I will mix in 2 quarts of epoxy, with 2 quarts of reducer, and 2 quarts of catalyst to yield 6 sprayable quarts of sealer. And the 2 quarts of HOK catalyst will mix in with 2 quarts of reducer and 1 gallon of clear to yield two sprayable gallons of clear. Does this sound right? Don't want to mix the wrong things together! Haha.

Every product and every brand has a different mixing ratio; as far as I remember PPG epoxy is a 1:1 ratio, Kustomshop epoxy is 1:3. My PPG shopline urethane primer is 1;4, PPG shopline sealer is 1;5.

You'll find the mixing info on the tech sheet that you can download from most manufacturers websites.

Buy plastic mixing cups, you'll need them.

You're spraying pearl ??? You changed your mind on the color ? I thought it's going to be black ??

I've change my mind only about 1000 times. It will be a Pearl Black. I didn't like the blue pearl over black because sometimes it can look midnight blue, and I didn't want the car to look blue again. But this paint will go from black to metallic gun metal gray. If you look at the bottom fender in the shade, it's so black it looks like a different color.

29ho2w.jpg
2myog7m.jpg

The paint shop guy recommended that I go with a PPG epoxy primer and reduce it for use as a sealer. So here's the final list of what will go on after the Slick Sand (Evercoat) is block sanded.

BC25 Base HOK 1 Gal
PBC43 Pearl HOK 1 Gal
RU312 (Slow Reducer) 3 Gals
UC35-G17 Kosmic Clear 1 Gal
KU151-Q00 HOK Catalyst 2 Quarts (Does this mix in with the clear 2:1 ratio?)
PPG DP90LF04 Epoxy 2 Quarts
DP402LF04 Catalyst 2 Quarts

My understanding is that I will mix in 2 quarts of epoxy, with 2 quarts of reducer, and 2 quarts of catalyst to yield 6 sprayable quarts of sealer. And the 2 quarts of HOK catalyst will mix in with 2 quarts of reducer and 1 gallon of clear to yield two sprayable gallons of clear. Does this sound right? Don't want to mix the wrong things together! Haha.

Look at the Data sheet I posted. It has the mix ratios. You do not want to add a 1:1:1 mix. It is 1:1:1/2 for sealer. Here it is again http://www.custom-aerosol.com/pdf/PPG-DPLF-epoxy-primer-product-sheet.pdf

Last edited: