How to remove torque converter?

Put a screwdriver between the ring gear (flexplate) and the starter and bang the wrench with a hammer.

Then put a screwdriver or crowbar between the teeth and hold it flat against the starter mounting pad

You can also stick a big screwdriver/pry bar between the flexplate and the trans case. It usually will wedge the plate. Then use a cheater bar on the wrench. Make sure it stays flat on the bolts so you don't round them off.

It's off,
I just bought a longer socket wrench and had the car on the lift :bounce:. The tranny is loose the engine could be removed :bounce:. Dmn, that's a hard job with a 454, everything, I mean engine stand, engine lift looks just too small and too weak.

It's off,
I just bought a longer socket wrench and had the car on the lift :bounce:. The tranny is loose the engine could be removed :bounce:. Dmn, that's a hard job with a 454, everything, I mean engine stand, engine lift looks just too small and too weak.

Yo baby!! better safe than sorry...good move....:bounce:

It's off,

Be very careful!! That BB is close to 800 pounds dressed. If it gets off center a little bit it'll go over. Natural instinct is to try and catch it. If you get under it, something will be broken, possibly beyond repair,

grumpyvette has a post somewhere about tools and lifts and such- good read

Yes, my gut feeling also.

I had a normal cherry picker type engine lift, but went out to a neighboring workshop they have a big ass HD engine hoist. That worked much better, at least for a peace of mind perspective.

I also have a 1000lbs engine stand, but didn't dare to use it, the engine is now on the ground resting on the oil pan (needed a new one any way) and two jack stands.

I'm thinking of buying another 1000lbs stand and combine the 2 to carry the engine from both sides. With the spare beams I can weld together a transmission support.