Ignition gremlin.

enkeivette

I have this gremlin, and he's good at hiding, don't know where to start.

This happened a while ago, then it went away for a few months, now it's back and not going away I'm afraid. I turn the key to the acc position, I hear the normal beep for a second, and then everything powers off. I mean everything. Try it again, still dead. If I let it sit for a while it will flash the power for a split second (beep) then die again. It's like I'm tripping some circuit breaker, and I haven't touched anything electrical on the car in months.

Is this likely an intermittent short? Any ideas where to look if so? Or is it possible that the circuit breaker went bad? Are those little saucer like things in the fuse box the circuit breakers?

:crap::sos:

Yours is a 78? Check the connector near the blower motor on the passenger side, all the power goes through it (starter motor harness), if it's bad (usually molten) it will kill all power.

Ug, what a waste of two hours. So I check the brown wires, from the post to where they disappear into the wiring harness, they read 12V and 1/10 of an ohm. Then I check every fuse post and fuse with the multimeter. Then I follow the hot wire from the batt post to make sure it's not shorting on the driveshaft, all is good. So I decide to check the brown wire again, this time from the post to behind the firewall, bust out the multimeter, but this time there's not 12V at the post! Only 1.5!? So I check the ground going to the batt. Corrosion! :suicide: Problem solved. Check the simple stuff first.