Late C3 fuel tank into a '69?

The Artist formerly known as Turbo84
Clinging to my guns and religion in KCMO.
Just curious. I'll be swapping the body of my '69 onto a modified frame over the winter (hopefully). I was curious if the later fuel tank, with the internal bladder, would be a worthwhile swap for slightly improved safety in the event of a rear collision, or if I back the car into a wall on a track day.
What's the collective's opinions here?

thanks,
Mike

Will not fit, too high up top, more gallons, and the filler is in the rong spot, and the later bladders are prone to messing up, shrinking/coming apart and limiting fuel quantity......about the only advantage is being able to put a IN TANK fuel injection pump in there.....better off with a frame mount in that case....

:beer:

I'm too lazy to look this up. When was the bladder tank first in production?

I may be rong on this but my mind tells me '78 with the advent of the new design and the fast back sharks....I don't think they ever made it in the older style....

the failure mode is apparently not fixable, and I dunno if new tanks are even available in that style with the bladder in them......the only person I know of that would know 100% on that is Dr. Rebuild, or I can check with Wade here in Jacksonville.....he has a vette shop, I used to work there....years ago part time....

The bladder tanks were introduced in 74 or 75 I think it was. The later models (80-82??) however have a plastic tank with just a steel shell, the steel is not the tank the rigid plastic inner tank is. They do NOT collapse.

Problem is, you can't mount them because of the rear frame crossmember, you'd have to start cutting there and move it back to fit the tank.

The bladder tanks were introduced in 74 or 75 I think it was. The later models (80-82??) however have a plastic tank with just a steel shell, the steel is not the tank the rigid plastic inner tank is. They do NOT collapse.

Problem is, you can't mount them because of the rear frame crossmember, you'd have to start cutting there and move it back to fit the tank.

Okay, I'm starting to get the picture. I'll have to take a look at a 74/75 frame to get a better understanding.

So, apparently it's the bumper crossmember placement that's the issue? Other than the change to the design of the crossmember, I guess I had always assumed it was at least in the same plane as the older crossmember. So, I'm assuming I'm SOL with the possibility of easily updating the tank.

Mike, if you not going to be running a spare, I would just add a cheep 5 gallon Harbor Freight air tank in there....holds up to 150 psi, so should be mucho safer than any sheetmetal tank....and simply put another mount for it under the stock tank and use that single bung they have for the in/out lines, with a pickup tube to the bottom section of the tank....this allows it to be used with the upper tank and the stock sending unit and pickup sock/filter....when the tank goes empty, you know you have perzactly 5 gallons left....and so I am thinking of that to pick up extra range as well as cure my fuel slosh problem when the tank gets really lo....but at that point I need nearly 16 gallons to make it lo enough to where the engine stumbles.....

:shocking: