New Distributor

SmokinBBC

Finally got some time to drop in the new system. DUI mech tach, Bluemax wires. Opened up the AC Delcos to 50 gap. Wired it to the extra ignition slot in the fuse box.

Those bluemax sure are hefty and well made. I need to get a good loom set since the sleeving makes the wires about 10mm.

The DUI is a VERY well made unit. They put in 22 all in at 3000 with a 15 degree vacuum advance can. Initial is set at 12. It is a large cap unit, so it is a tight fit...but that's just like anything on a BB in a vette.

The results...smoother idle, smoother acceleration and absolutely no misses anywhere in the RPM range:yahoo::yahoo::yahoo: She moves like a bat outta hell!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I haven't put in the pertronix rev limiter yet...I don't want to test the limit of the engine until I get it in....but she is pulling hard/fast up to 5500.

Now we need some pic's of a burn out or 2 :push:
Nothing like a good ign upgrade is there :thumbs:

I would suggest keeping it where it is if it runs fine, no misfires or fouling. Bigger gap = better.

I would suggest keeping it where it is if it runs fine, no misfires or gouling. Bigger gap = better.

:crylol: I agree,with an upgraded ign system you can run a wider gap,but don't go any wider or it can cause wear on other ign parts like the cap and rotor could wear out real fast on you.
.50 is what i have my plugs at and no problems with it.

Bigger gap = better.
And you base this on what facts?

Opening the gap forces the coil to build up a higher voltage which in turn creates a stronger spark, a stronger spark ignites the combustion cycle of the air/fuel mixture better.

Remember you can make all the mods you want to get air/fuel in to the cylinder more efficiently and get the exhaust out. But if you do not have a good ign system you are leaving some performance on the table.

Hi

Well understood, but if the plug gap is too big, the spark might jump somewhere else, possibly even across the cable insulation.

Electricity always takes the path of smallest resistance.

Rgds. Günther