Engine identification/go forward plan.

Double_take

When i bought the vette it had a crate engine sitting under the hood. At the price the guy wanted, I didnt care what engine was under the hood, only that it ran. It has only 5500 miles on it. This winter/next spring I want to do some top end/valve train work to boost the power up a little. However, Im having trouble getting info on this engine. The numbers on the passenger head under the valve cover is:

also under the valve cover is the number "227"

could also be

(9)34173(5)9

Google doesnt pull up anything except other confused people looking for information.

The block is 10066036 which is a Target Master/Goodwrench, 2-piece rear seal.

If it is indeed the full Target Master/goodwrench engine, it seems this motor is a dog.

Which brings me to the next step. I want to do an LS swap in a few years, but I want a little more power right now without breaking the bank. It seems that this engine has a 8.5:1 compression ratio which is rather sad.

Are these heads worthless or can I use them with a cam, upgraded valve train and intake? The engine is so new I cant justify digging into the bottom end except for maybe new higher compression pistons if the gains/$ is worth it.

Basically is it worth doing my homework and rebuilding the top end or should I just enjoy for now and look forward to an LSx in a few years?

Sorry dude i can't find anything on those #'s in my book :crap: i have one more source to look in if i can find it :suspicious:

sorry but there's no cheap way to make a lil more HP ... the Goodwrench engine is a 8.5:1 low CR engine but for $1500 still a good value... I would not want to do anything to this engin, better start with a new short block (396 ?? or 383) and go from there....LS1 is pretty much the way to go: $4000 for a engine/trans/ accessories combo is reasonable... :drink:

Im considering a LS1/t-56 swap instead of working on what I have. It would be a lot of work, im a novice, but would be awesome when done.

Could it be?
33417369...90-up...350..........Gen.I Goodwrench crate motor,"Hecho en Mexico", 76cc

Could it be?
33417369...90-up...350..........Gen.I Goodwrench crate motor,"Hecho en Mexico", 76cc

Yeah, thats what it is. Ive found the info I need, now I need to figure out how much money I want to dump into this project. Im gonna get new heads, cam, rockers, and it should be a nice setup pushing upper 300/lower 400 tq and upper 300 hp.