How wide is TOO wide?

RBRBRNR

I am trying to research how wide of tires I can put on my '00 C5. I have the correct chrome ZO6 wheels and plan on 265/40/17's on the front.

My question is: will 315/30/18's be too wide on the back. I've heard they will fit and look great, and I've also heard that they stick out too far and could rub.

I don't want to risk looking like brother Jethro down the road with his souped-up '85 Firebird (if ya know what I mean ). But the 295's are breaking loose in first and second gears, so I was hoping the additional contact patch of 315's would help.

Anybody try the 315's on ZO6 wheels?

Thanks for the help.

I think my dad has 295's on 19's in the rear, A wider tire could definately fit

I'll go check in a bit

Depending on the manufacturer a 295 tire can actually be as wide as a 305 or even 315 tire.
I used to have 17x11 rims with 315-35-17 Goodyear tires and these were a lot wider than the Sumitomos that I bought to replace these (same size, less than half the price).

I think your rear rims are 18X10.5 so a 315-30 tire will be a good fit for that size rim - the width depends on the brand/manufacturer.

The front rims are 17X9 ?? 275-40 is a more common size with a better variety of brands.....

Thanks to all...I was keeping with the 265 fronts because that's what the ZO6 ran. I think the 315's rears will likely fit OK but I'm worried they might stick out to the point of looking, well, not good. Kinda like the attached picture (forgive me for showing a Mustang).

Attachments

• Mach1Wreck02.jpg
    Mach1Wreck02.jpg
    194.1 KB · Views: 19