speedo gear trouble

agent20x

The gear for the speedometer doesn't seem to contacting the output shaft on the transmission causing the speedometer needle to be either jumpy or not register at all. If I take the sending unit/cable out of the transmission the gear seems to be in working order.

When I put it back in I get the hold down tab in the slot and tighten it down a reasonable amount. once everything is tightened down the sender seems kinda loose in the hole, and I think this is why I have the speedometer issues.

Is there any way I can fix this short of RTVing the sender into the hole?

What tranny? Without knowing which trans you have and the many different styles of speedo adapters it's a bit difficult.

Like Tim said what transmission do you have? I had similar problems with mine. My drive gear on the output shaft had worked loose breaking the clip that held it in place. It took out 4 gears before I fiqured it out.

Hi

The gear housing is only held in place by this little tap, bracket type clamp with 1 bolt only.
If after tightening this up, the gear housing is still loose, you might need to bent this hold down bracket a touch in order to keep the gear housing tight on the gearbox.

If this does not solve your initial problem with the jumping needle, you need to check the drive gear. Might have missing teeth.

Should be able to see it with the aid of a mirror and flashlight. Make sure you check the complete circumference of it . 1 missing tooth can show your mentioned problem.

Rgds. Günther

Super T-10

What tranny? Without knowing which trans you have and the many different styles of speedo adapters it's a bit difficult.

Stock 4 speed super t10

What year is your car??? Is the main case aluminum or cast iron and does it have a 32 spline output, 27 or 16?????

The speedo bullit has a rubber o-ring seal on the outside, some newer version have a seal on the inside the seals the driven gear.

They make different driven gears in different diameters for guess what, different OD circle gears. If it is a 32 spline, there is only one circle gear, 27 there are lots of choices in 2 different ODs.

Post the numbers off the tranny and let's see what you have.