looking for some info

Joefrals

Hey,

I'm looking to replace the dash on my '79 vette and while I'm at is the evaporator leaks so while I have it apart I plan on doing that. I've got some prices in my area (Albany, NY) and its quite costly so I thought I'd try and tackle it myself over the winter layup months if doesn't appear to be to difficult. With that said I'm somewhat handy but don't want to get too far over my head to late so I'm looking for some detailed info on where to start and what to look for as possible problems/snags. Also If there are some other things I should check/replace while undertaking this project.

Any and all assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanking you in anvance.

Joe

You need a couple of books (manuals) first. Get an AIM and the factory service manual from Helm. They are all over ebay so they're not hard to find at all. Willcox even has the AIM on CD. The service manual will have the procedure to R&R the evaporator too. What needs to be removed etc..

I'll tell you that it's a job you won't want to do more than once. No fun at all. The problem is the the access to the bolts is very minimal. Not impossible to get to, just a tight fit.
I would think really hard about changing the heater core too. It's in the same box so you'll have it out at the same time. I'd also change the dryer while I had the system apart.

Another thing you might think about is converting the system to R-134. You need a few more parts, but 134 is cheaper and easier to find than R-12 if your system is not already converted.

One more thing- are you certain it's the evaporator that's leaking? They can and do pop leaks, but it's a waste to change that when the real problem is something else.