Now I need a carb

bahamasair

Its time for me to order a carb for my 496, I'm looking at the Quick Fuel Super Street series or the Holley Street Avenger, Should I go vac secondaries or mech secondaries with the Quick Fuel? The Mech secondaries on the Quick Fuel have different linkage points to adjust the opening rate so that should control any bog or hesitation right? Also how do I work out what cfm I need?
I'm sure Ill think of other questions but these are the main ones for now :)
Thanks.

is the car a stick or a auto (converter?) ?

How much camshaft you have?

How much compression?

what size gear?

Yes you can adjust the mechanical secondarys to meet your needs along with the squirter cam.

I'm using an 850 Mighty Demon- mechanical secondary, on Ol' Red. LS-7 454 with 12.5 compression, open chamber, rectangle port heads with a ZL-1 cam. I've also had a 750 Holley DP on there- worked pretty well with that too. The 850 has a little less on the bottom and a little more on top.
No bog or hesitation with either one, and the jetting is close right out of the box. I did change the power valve in both to compensate for the idle vacuum.

Avoid a carb with stick boosters like the plague. You will want downleg boosters at least.

If you have a cam on the big side for your motor go for annular boosters.

Im going with the 830cfm with mech secondaries and downleg boosters. I dont think my cam is too radical so hopefully everything will work out ok.

I have the Quickfuel SS830 mechanical secondary on my 383 and it by far the best carb I have ever had. This carb worked flawlessly right out of the box. I did some minor tuning and it really woke the engine up. It made a .2 second increase over the 750 I ran previously on the motor. Give the guys at Quickfuel a call and ask for Derrick Borders, tell him John B. referred you. I live in Bowling Green and Derrick is a good friend of mine and very knowledgable on their products.

I already ordered it from Jegs. Ill probably call them after I get it when Im setting it up.
Thanks for the info bud.

I have the Quickfuel SS830 mechanical secondary on my 383 and it by far the best carb I have ever had. This carb worked flawlessly right out of the box. I did some minor tuning and it really woke the engine up. It made a .2 second increase over the 750 I ran previously on the motor. Give the guys at Quickfuel a call and ask for Derrick Borders, tell him John B. referred you. I live in Bowling Green and Derrick is a good friend of mine and very knowledgable on their products.

Hmmmm...... I'm running a 600cfm Edelbrock on my 383 and I was going to use that old 750 Holley that I have sitting in a box on my shelf... now this sounds like a 850 is a better choice ??????