Mech roller cams

Belgian1979vette

There is a discussion going on over at CF about the life of roller lifters on a roller cammed engine. It is said that they don't like to idle to long and don't live to long due to lack of lubrication.

When I installed mine, I went with a roller cam due to need to be able to turn high rpm's and still being somewhat civilized, which reduced options somewhat since the cam profile became more radical.

What is the opinion of the experts ?

Thanks

Some say they replaced mech rollers after as little as 10000 miles, some say they last 50000 miles. IMO most mech (solid) roller cams, at least in a small block is not the best choice for an engine that is driven on the street and that you want to last 100000 miles.
A hydr. roller is pretty much bulletproof...150-200K miles easy......

Not sure what that 'lack of lubrication' is.... the solid roller should get the same amount of oil as a hydr roller.... not ??

Solid roller cams have typically more duration and more lift - usually heavy valve springs are used with high lift cams. That will add stress to the rollers.

I don't have anything wearing out, but the discussion was about the bearings of the roller.

I'm confused. There is a discussion at CF about solid roller lifters that "don't live to long due to lack of lubrication"? Isn't not living long the same as wearing out?

I would get a street solid roller lobe.

True, but not all rollers are created equal among the manufacturers. The big advantage of a roller is the fact that it can cope with more agressive profiles. If you reduce this to much, you end up with the same performance of a flat tappet.

Sustainable spring pressures, and vicariously valve weights may limit total valve acceleration and rocker ratios etc etc etc.

This topic was discussed recently on speed talk and most seem to think that it is due to the lash and aggressive ramp slamming into the roller.
With hydraulic cam you have no lash and even with a aggressive grind they last.

Basically that would mean that a rev kit would help, since it keeps the roller in contact with the cam.

What about roller bearing life ?
Yes that would probably help I run a hydraulic roller and a use a rev kit.

Most say you don't need a rev kit with a hydraulic cam but hydraulic lifters are heavy and I think that it is better to not put so much pressure on my aluminum roller rocker with killer springs.
By using a rev kit I can rev higher and make the rocker and entire valve train last longer. My engine has been running trouble free for over 8 years.:noworry: