1982 fuel pump relay

Toms82

My 82 is not starting (again). I can hear the fuel pump relay pull in for prime pulse, but the relay drops out very quickly, not the usual amount of contact. I put in a new ignition module, thinking the ECM wasn't "seeing" ignition pulse. This is an intermittent problem, the car sometimes starts right up. There are no codes on the CEL. BTW, the fuel pump is new. How should I procede?
Thank you,
Tom

My 82 is not starting (again). I can hear the fuel pump relay pull in for prime pulse, but the relay drops out very quickly, not the usual amount of contact. I put in a new ignition module, thinking the ECM wasn't "seeing" ignition pulse. This is an intermittent problem, the car sometimes starts right up. There are no codes on the CEL. BTW, the fuel pump is new. How should I procede?
Thank you,
Tom

IF the car is running or not, tap on the relay to see if it starts then...and if it does, with engine running...tap on that relay...they get tired and the contacts don't make it....when you turn on the ignition the fuel pump should run for just 1-2 seconds to assure prime, and of course run soon as engine cranks even if it's stopped before that....and obviously stay running......:thumbs:

I would change the relay for the 6 bux a new one runs at a parts house...

Thank you,
Tom

Have you tried jumping the top right connector on the ALDL with 12 volts to see if the pump will stay running. It should crank this way I would think, unless there is another problem.

I had a similar problem with an older chevy pickup before. Ended up being the distributor. I put in a proform one that didn't last more than a couple months. Put the stock one back in and it ran fine. Sometimes it would start right up, other times it would just crank and crank. I think it was the pickup coil that measured bad with the multimeter. There should be checks in the service manual for that stuff. Even a chilton or haynes manual.