plastic lenses, yellow crud and tinted clearcoat

MYBAD79

I had quiet some pitting on my fog-lights so I decided to wetsand until the rough spots were gone and then sprayed two coats of tinted clearcoat and another two clear coats.... these plastic lenses very often turn yellow, I've done the same to headlight lenses on two other cars, IMO the only way to deal with this yellow stuff on these lenses....

2148e964d00e1d4.jpg

this is right out the gun, not wetsanded and not buffed.....

2148e964cf1cc03.jpg

headlights are next, with a little less tint though....

2148e964cfa5785.jpg

Ditching sealed beam bulbs or even the late camaro type bulbs with the halogen light glued into the glass and easily changed out.....and putting plastic over some fragile bulb has not been such a smart move by car makers....

lends to cute designs, but that plastic is good for a few years, then it's 5,000 bux to replace it.....planned obsolescence.... yet another reason I roll my own....

:shocking:

you see this yellow stuff on the lenses across all car makers, US, Jap, Euro..... seems to be a huge problem here in FL with the heat and humidity...not as bad up north....

Anyways..... I've tried polishing, waxing, high dollar plastic magic products, weird magic dances and chicken bones boiled and thrown over my shoulder.... nothing helped until I finally just wetsanded and painted.... without the tint it's clear like glass on the day it left the factory.... the tint is just personal preference...

I wetsand and polish them, but they never come out nearly that good. And they always get sandblasted or oxidized or whatever the hell again, the clear was a very good idea.

I think I'm going to try this, the results look excellent, much better than with a cheap blackout spray.

I think I'm going to try this, the results look excellent, much better than with a cheap blackout spray.

I have a spare set of C6 foglights (already tinted) if you're interessted..... these foglights get sandblasted like crazy when you're on the highway at 70mph and above....