Barn Find Harley

JPhil

Huh?
So, I now have this 71 FLH which was in poor condition when it was parked 20 years ago. It's a long sad story: I rode many a mile with this bike in the lane next to me in days gone by.

6648e8d5ecb7764.jpg

It is all siezed up, we had to remove the chain to roll it. But with some air in the tires, it does roll pretty well.

6648e8d5ed49d52.jpg

6648e8d5edb0272.jpg

I'm seeking opinions about how to free up the engine with as little damage as possible so I can begin its rebirth. Or at least get an idea of what I have to deal with.

6648e8dee0d7020.jpg

My idea is to fill the engine with a mixture of WD40 & Marvel Mystery Oil: fill the cylinders through the plug holes, fill the crankcase through the timing hole & the timing case through the tappet blocks. Unhook the oil lines & use a hand-pump oiler to pressure up & force it through the passages, both top & bottom end. Let it set for a day or more, drain it, try to roll the engine over a little bit, and do it all again. Repeat as needed until engine rolls over, then start squirting (not filling, just soaking) & pressuring up with 20 wieght oil and work it more. Meanwhile, I'll be working on cleaning & freeing up the primary drive/clutch, tranny, oil tank & lines, etc.
Any other thoughts?

Thanks,
John

Last edited:
I have never done this, but a guy I know who has worked on old motors fills the block up with deisel. Supposedly it degunks everything.

I'm not a big fan of WD-40. I'll say the maybe a mix of Marvel, ATF and diesel might get better results.

Is the engine or the tranny locked? Or both? Not too familiar with the trans on those, but is it possible that it got in two gears at once? That will lock it up from both ends. Maybe pop the primary and confirm what you need to go after first.

Cool old scooter.. IS it going to be a resto or a partner to another one?

I'm going to be a Maverick here and say squirt a few ounces of PB Blaster in the spark plug hole. Let it sit a week then do it again. Then see if you can turn it over.

It has some sort of catalytic action that's will work better than a normal lube. There is more of a chance that it is rust welded than just gummed up.

Last edited:
I worked on a DOHC Jag one time that was siezed. They do that fairly common when sitting long. We filled the crankcase and heads with Kerosene. Sat for 2 months, and never broke free.:crap:
I finally pulled the pan, and removed the rod caps. One cylinder was stuck, so I bridged the pan with unistrut, and installed threaded rods from the rod to the strut. Cranked them down tight, and walked away. 45 minutes later, in the garage, I heard a "tink." It popped free. We installed the pan, sucked out the cylinders, put in fresh oil, and started her up. Looked like a stage play smoke/fogger machine for about 30 minutes while the residual kerosene burned out thru the exhaust. 8 years later, we still drive that car with zero detrimental effects. (Very clean inside)

I'm not a big fan of WD-40. I'll say the maybe a mix of Marvel, ATF and diesel might get better results.

Is the engine or the tranny locked? Or both? Not too familiar with the trans on those, but is it possible that it got in two gears at once? That will lock it up from both ends. Maybe pop the primary and confirm what you need to go after first.

Cool old scooter.. IS it going to be a resto or a partner to another one?

WD40 isn't good.
ATF and diesel. Has worked for me.
Doubt that the tranny is locked, After a few days put a big breaker bar on the primary and slow back and forth motion with more fluid.
Good luck. Nice old bike.

ATF does have VERY high detergent properties, and we tried that first to no avail. I think Jim's idea of a little PB Blaster added to a mineral base like diesal or kerosene might be the ticket. :thumbs:

Fill that cylinder head with PB Blaster, it will work. That stuff brakes down rust, carbon deposit, chases threads. its worth the money!

full strength PB Blaster. It ain't gonna hurt it. And then get an air compressor adapter for the spark plug hole and pump a cylinder up to break it loose.

Damn, I really miss driving the Colorado mountains especially up in Rocky Mountain National Park. You're gonna have fun riding that old bike.

Last edited:
I have heard more than once that diesel fuel is the best way to free a motor. Might take some time to get it to work. Like your idea of pumping lube through it. Can't imagine that the trans or primary are locked.

The bad news is that the base gaskets will probably leak on a shovel so you will probably pull the jugs anyway:eek:

Nice bike! let us know when you get her back to life.

OoohhhKaaayyyy....
so it looks like PB Blaster, then PBB, ATF & diesel for the initial doses....cool, sounds good. does PB Blaster come in gallon cans? i never looked, I guess if WD40 does, PBB should...NAPA dude, here I come.

The tranny ain't jacked, I'm sure. just stuck motor & clutch plates. Old HD clutches are a specialty of mine, I look forward to making it work properly (a four-speed HD clutch that don't ring like a telephone when the pedal's depressed (or the lever pulled) just ain't free). And the HD 4-speed trannys are pretty near bullet proof.

But DAMN just Damn-- I sold off all my HD shit a couple years ago when I was sure I was done with them and had no other love --er, I mean "hobby"-- in my life other than the the 'Vette. I had 90% of the shit I need to get this bike up & running on my shelves. Now, I will have to buy it all. And it needs it all, from one end to the other..
FUCk shit piss hell goddam sonovabitchin mutherfuckercrap.
Oh well

Dam, the dream we all have--the "Barn Find" came true for me.
And I'm pissed. I did not want this, it's like a big-eyed, tail-wagging puppy dropped on me. I did not want it but I cannot refuse it. Its like a pound of cocaine dumped on the table in front of me. Or--sheeit--a hot girlfriend from 30 years ago suddenly showing up on my doorstep, still hot & sexy & wanting me.
And my wife is standing a few feet behind me, arms crossed & tapping her foot while I stammer & stutter.....

:lol::bonkers: Life's a bitch, ain't it?

Last edited:
OoohhhKaaayyyy....
so it looks like PB Blaster, then PBB, ATF & diesel for the initial doses....cool, sounds good. does PB Blaster come in gallon cans? i never looked, I guess if WD40 does, PBB should...NAPA dude, here I come.

The tranny ain't jacked, I'm sure. just stuck motor & clutch plates. Old HD clutches are a specialty of mine, I look forward to making it work properly (a four-speed HD clutch that don't ring like a telephone when the pedal's depressed (or the lever pulled) just ain't free). And the HD 4-speed trannys are pretty near bullet proof.

But DAMN just Damn-- I sold off all my HD shit a couple years ago when I was sure I was done with them and had no other love --er, I mean "hobby"-- in my life other than the the 'Vette. I had 90% of the shit I need to get this bike up & running on my shelves. Now, I will have to buy it all. And it needs it all, from one end to the other..
FUCk shit piss hell goddam sonovabitchin mutherfuckercrap.
Oh well

Dam, the dream we all have--the "Barn Find" came true for me.
And I'm pissed. I did not want this, it's like a big-eyed, tail-wagging puppy dropped on me. I did not want it but I cannot refuse it. Its like a pound of cocaine dumped on the table in front of me. Or--sheeit--a hot girlfriend from 30 years ago suddenly showing up on my doorstep, still hot & sexy & wanting me.
And my wife is standing a few feet behind me, arms crossed & tapping her foot while I stammer & stutter.....:banghead:

:lol::bonkers: Life's a bitch, ain't it?

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:This is VERY funny shit to me.

If you get out this way, I still have a few old time HD buddies that won't touch an Evo. You'll be at home.

I know the feeling. I got rid of loads of SBC and GM service manuals, figuring I was out of the car thing. Then Ol' Red comes along, then I get back into transmissions, then after I made myself a promise I'd NEVER EVER get into doing another resto I got the 74 Coupe.

Oh Well,

You guys think I'm kidding? Here's a picture from nearly 30 years ago: and after 25+ years, 'the girl' re-entered my life a few months ago, and that is this same bike which she's just kick started --that's why she's grinning so big!

6648e97dd361ed5.jpg

Last edited:
All the different methods mentioned are good but for me I would just remove the motor and trans and take them apart and rebuilt it and replace most everything. When that bike was new it leaked oil and it will be like Niagara falls now.

BTW I love the sound of an old Shovel in the morning.:thumbs: