fuel gauge

kwplot34

Heart Attack
All right,my fuel gauge took a dump today :bullshit: and is pegged to the right past Full.
What is SOP for running down the culprit of this problem :suicide: hopefully it's the gauge since i do have a couple of spares :1st: But with my luck i see a fuel tank being dropped in my future :censored:

All right,my fuel gauge took a dump today :bullshit: and is pegged to the right past Full.
What is SOP for running down the culprit of this problem :suicide: hopefully it's the gauge since i do have a couple of spares :1st: But with my luck i see a fuel tank being dropped in my future :censored:

Past full? In that case you MAY have grounded the wire from the sending unit to the guage.:push:

Past full? In that case you MAY have grounded the wire from the sending unit to the guage.:push:

I didn't ground it,somebody must have got into my garage and messed with it :flash:

But yes it is pegged to the right past full,thanks for the info Gleen it gives me a place to start. Now to dust off the wiring schematic and the multi meter and dive in :goodnight:

Kevin,

I didn't see it in the GM SM, but the float in the tank should read 0 - 90ohms. Crossing the wires on the back of the fuel gauge 1 way will go full, the other 2 will go empty. I would make sure that you have a good ground at the tank connection.

I think that Bird helped with mine when I had some problems.

Kevin,

I didn't see it in the GM SM, but the float in the tank should read 0 - 90ohms. Crossing the wires on the back of the fuel gauge 1 way will go full, the other 2 will go empty. I would make sure that you have a good ground at the tank connection.

Thanks for the info,grouds would be a good place to start,but on the brighter side I now have a reason to drop the tank and get my build sheet,it is there I have seen it :cool:

Kevin,

It would be easier to get the build sheet if you pulled the body. Just think of all the other things you could do while it's off.

Kevin,

That be 0 ohms empty and 90 full. It will differ slightly with each sending uint.:)

Lucky man...always running full... with the gas prices these days.:nuts:

:crylol:

Where do I sign up???

12v testlight. Disconnect the sender at the tank. ground clip on testlight. stab the pointy end into the connector for the sender. Turn key on. If gauge goes to about 1/2 tank, it's the sender or tank ground. If the gauge does nothing, then it's either the gauge or the wiring.

Kevin,

It would be easier to get the build sheet if you pulled the body. Just think of all the other things you could do while it's off.

Pulling the body would be nice,but i have a much easier way to get at that build sheet,i'm going to use this on the rear deck,and will have that sucker out of there in no time :smash:
3848e6f9f7090cf.jpg

Never got a chance to test the system today,because when i started the car the gauge was working :huh: oh well maybe next time :skeptic: