Roller rocker adjustment

zz71s

How can you tell when a hydralic lifter is adjusted to its proper adjustment
I just got done installing the lt4 hot cam with 1.6 rockers kit on my zz4 and now I have a little modification paranoila
What would happen if a hydralic lifter was adjusted to tight
The engine idle smoothly and no clicking

HYdraulic roller cams/rockers always seem to make a tiney bit of a clicking sound, no matter how they are adjusted....like a Singer....no problem, I adjust just like hyd flat tappet cams....

:D

Back them off until they rattle, tighten them down slowly until they just quit making noise, then 1/4 turn more.

Back them off until they rattle, tighten them down slowly until they just quit making noise, then 1/4 turn more.

Tim,

I lost a cam in my ZZ4 last year and I believe it was due to not tightening them down enough. I used the 1/4 turn past zero lash method that I read somewhere vs the 1 full turn GM recommends. The metal was deformed after the lobe peak on several lobes from the roller becoming "airborne" and banging down on the surface. I believe you have to have sufficient pressure on the rollers to keep them in contact with the lobes at all times. I used the loosen until it clatters then tighten 3/4 turn method on this new GM cam and it seems to be working out fine.

I would be cautious tightening them only 1/4turn

FrontLobe.jpg

that's a nasty looking photo but it seems to be a pretty good camera.....I adjusted my roller rockers/lifters 3/4 - 1 turn past zero lash.