C3 Oil pans

blckslvr79

My 79 L82 with a 350 came with a cheap aftermarket chrome pan thanks to the po.

It leaks.
It hits the steering components.
I don't like the chrome.
I want to replace it.

2 questions....

1. For a street driven Vette, 350 approx hp, what do you guys recommend?

a. Stock steel pan?
b. Aluminum aftermarket pan?-I've always been told they cool better, but are prone to cracking on street cars if a rock hits them or you bottom out.
c. 6 or 7 qt Racing pan?-I like the idea of more capacity and they look cool!

2. Does the Vette require a special pan for clearance of the crossmember and steering components? If I go with the racing pan are they built with clearance issues in mind or do I need a special pan?

Thanks! :sos:

Alu? no! Get a proper pan with some kickouts like a moroso street pan or a canron, maybe a milodon. Xander has a nice milodon, clears the steering just fine and the extra oil is always nice.

For a street driven car, any stock type pan is fine.....junkyard ten bux....

engine shop maybe....

anything else is wait and spendy....

:chinese: to boot, can't trust any aftermarket source these daze.....:flash:

If you go with a bigger after market pan,let me know which one you get and how it fits,i have looked at some with the kick outs but have not pulled the trigger on one yet. If it fits you're 79 it should fit my 78 :idea:

I have been leaning towards the Moroso pans

If you go with a bigger after market pan,let me know which one you get and how it fits,i have looked at some with the kick outs but have not pulled the trigger on one yet. If it fits you're 79 it should fit my 78 :idea:

I have been leaning towards the Moroso pans

Sure, make me sweat it out first! :sweat:
I was hoping one of you could advise me on it!

I'm leaning toward a higher capacity with the kickouts. Always liked the way they looked! But yes, they seem salty.
My biggest concern is finding one with enough clearance to miss the steering linkage.
Are all the big pans the same dimensions up front???

Anybody have one to unload, let me know.

Well there we go 2 to choose from,the ad for the canton pan brought up something i did not think about,my motor has a 1piece rear main which the canton will fit,TT will the Milodon pan fit a piece also :eek:h:

Kev, I think your 2 piece seal adapter makes your setup take a standard pan.

Hmmm,well i don't know,my understanding was the 2 piece adapter lets you use a regular 2 piece seal crank instead of using the 1 piece seal crank. it still bolts to the back of the block like the 1 piece but you can take 2 screws out and separate the top half from the bottom so you can install the 2 piece seal,i still have to remove the tranny to replace the seal,the block is a 1 piece seal block it is out of an 86 chevy truck and the pan gasket seals to the adapter.

?? I didn't know you had to pull your trans when you replaced the seal. I thought they machined the back of a 1 piece block and main cap to get the 2 piece adapter in. I dunno?:confused2::footmouth:

?? I didn't know you had to pull your trans when you replaced the seal. I thought they machined the back of a 1 piece block and main cap to get the 2 piece adapter in. I dunno?:confused2::footmouth:

Yip,i had to remove the tranny to get to the seal :smash: which i was not happy about, a 2 piece rear main is used because you use a 2 piece crank,but the seal lip on the main is machined off.

The only reason for doing this was because the scat 2 piece crank is cheaper than the 1 piece crank and the flywheels are cheaper in price too,i think the savings was about $500 :twitch:

Exactly, if you hit some debris chances are you'll take out the pan. With a steel pan it'll most likely dent and not leak. Xander's old pan was dented all over but it didn't leak.

Well I haven't hit anything yet with my Stef's pan, it is no lower than the stock pan with increased capacity, trap door, and built in windage tray. It solved my WOT upper RPM oil preasure drop.

Got this 7 qt pan from Speedway for 95 bucks on sale.
Is 7 1/4" deep same as stock. Came with scrapers, baffles, trap doors and clearanced for stroker cranks. Clears everything under car too.
I believe more oil is better, even for a stock engine.

7Deep7Qt2.jpg

DSC03326.jpg

Well I haven't hit anything yet with my Stef's pan, it is no lower than the stock pan with increased capacity, trap door, and built in windage tray. It solved my WOT upper RPM oil preasure drop.

Your stef's pan will be a fabricated part, made from sheet aluminium. I was assuming the OP meant a cast aluminium oil pan.

Welded aluminum will take as much of a beating as steel... cast aluminum will crack and drain your oil right the first time you hit something.... hence why the LS series pans are not as low as the older pans....