700R4 Speedometer Drive Gear

Dirtbuster1

My speedometer problem finally showed what was causing my speedometer gear to tear up. Just when I thought it might have broken another shaft, I removed it & it was ok. I then checked out the cable & it was ok. I slipped my hand up into the casing to find my drive gear had broken loose. I found a metal clip in the tail shaft.

Does anyone know what might have caused the clip to brake, and what is the correct way to fix it. There is not much in the service manual about this.

Pull the tail housing and put the gear back on with a new clip- the clip has the round end on the front- squeeze the tabs on the clip down, start the gear and then tap it on with a big wrench until the tabs on the clip pop up and lock the gear into place.

Ditto's with TimAT,Also make sure there is no hairline crack on drive gear and some 7oor4 output shafts have two holes that the clip can fit into,if this is the case with yours,make sure the gear is centered with the hole on the ext housing where the speedo housing slips into.

Getting the gear back on, was alot easier than getting it off. I took a piece of 1.5" pipe and tapped it back on. Hopefully this will take care of my speedometer problem.

Thanks for the help!