A dumping ground for my rambles

guru

I won a forged GM crank off of Ebay for $200 bucks. Its a 1053 forged crank out of a circle track crate engine. Hot!

So 1 step closer.

Here is what I am now considering:
(Parts in Green I already have)

1053 forged circle track crankshaft (supposedly 44lbs)
Scat 7/16 cap screw rods
KB dome 3.25cc dome pistons (11.5:1 SCR, 8:1 DCR)
GM 12370847 Hyd Roller Camshaft (crane 234/242 camshaft)
OE Hyd Rollers
Mcleod aluminum flywheel
Fluidampr
Pete Jackson Gear Drive
Titan Oil Pump
Custom Oil Pan
1996 4 bolt main truck block for OE Hyd Rollers
Hooker Sidepipes
750 speed demon with annular boosters and vacuum secondaries
Dart Dual Plane
Dart Pro 1 200cc platinum heads with straight plugs and 64cc chambers
Mallory magnetic breakerless corvette distributer with tach drive
Mallory hyfire 6 ignition box
Mallory Coil
Mallory Fuel log with pressure regulator
Mallory Fuel pump
Stewart stage 3 water pump
1.5.1 ratio roller rockers

Modifications to above parts
Rear coolant passages connected to front cross over
Coolant ports under siamesed exhaust ports on heads connected to water pump
Short fill in block

Other efforts:
Convert to manual brakes
3.73 or 3.9 rearend
New SPAL controller
Oil coolers w/ moroso sandwich adapter

On going efforts:
FIA headlights
Putting my interior back together
AC Delete kit

Stuff to liquidate:
Race pumps 150psi fuel pump, and carburatored boost referenced regulator
crower 1.6 ratio roller rockers
Crower 6" billet rods (supposedly they all work together but 1 rod is definitely newer than the others)
Ferrea 2.02 and 1.6 valves +.1 in length
misc carbs and parts
Weiand 7546
Weiand 7547
Weiand team g
AED pressure regulator billet aluminum mount and inlet kit w/ holley regulator

Completed efforts:
Kirkey Racing Seat installation
Shark Bar and harnesses

Why? Have been using mallory for years, never had a problem with them (including unilites). The ignition boxes are much better than the MSD6 junk.

A MBI is NOT!!!! the same as a unilite. It's basically the same as a magnetic trigger but with an amplifier so you trigger the coil directly off the distributor (the mag trigger will need a box to trigger the coil)

The only reason those mallory modules kick the bucket is inadequate grounds.

I thought I read in the mallory catalog that Magnetic breakerless did not need a box? I will double check.

The reason I selected that coil is that I want to mount it to the A/C delete cover I have before I seal it down.

I intend to mount the bow inside the fender on the passenger side kind of like the vacuum canister on the driver side is mounted but probably higher.

oops, the sentence is all screwed up, the mag breakerless (MBI) has an amplifier like I said, it doesn't need a box. The magnetic TRIGGER one needs a box.

Further thoughts on the cam. The cam selected best I can tell is fairly popular and respected camshaft in the LT1/LT4 groups.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x765etWoy3M[/ame]
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z379T6MFRWo[/ame]

Should be fun.

My only real option for a forged piston is the Ross 90453 2.7cc ludicrous lightness low dome pistons. They cost twice as much and weigh a lot less, but are forged and drop the SCR from 11.53 to 11.49 or so, the DCR also drops a few hundredths to 7.99.

with the supposedly lightweight crankshaft I am leaning towards some lighter pistons and rods. 5.7" rods have to be lighter than 6" rods.

Ross Pistons 90453 = 459g
KB pistons (6" rod) = 479g + 15g for the longer rod.

Going forged saves me 35g but with a shorter rod. Not sure if this is a wash as far as stress on the crankshaft.

I have a manual.

Both the Holley and Barry Grant selection guides both indicate vacuum secondaries.

What was it that it did? Did you try changing out the vacuum secondary springs?

I will definitely consider a mechanical secondary.

Last edited:
I messed with the jets,VS springs,power valves,but i could never get the full throttle hesitation out of it,talked to the tech's at BG and they agreed with what others have said and i had found out,VS do not work well with manual tranny's.
I installed a mechanical secondary carb and the problem was gone. There is a good explanation for it,it has to do with the vacume signal but i if i tried to explain it you would walk away going :huh:

They really need to update their selection guide that says manual or automatic.:rain:

dammitall they dont make a speed demon with an electric choke and annular boosters with mechanical secondaries. Annular boosters are an engineering requirement, the choke is I guess optional, but if I am going to bail on the choke why wouldnt I jump up to a Holley HP carb or barry grant mighty demon?

Nevermind I can get a choke kit.

Last edited:
They really need to update their selection guide that says manual or automatic.:rain:

dammitall they dont make a speed demon with an electric choke and annular boosters with mechanical secondaries. Annular boosters are an engineering requirement, the choke is I guess optional, but if I am going to bail on the choke why wouldnt I jump up to a Holley HP carb or barry grant mighty demon?

Nevermind I can get a choke kit.

You do not need a choke,unless you drive the car in the winter when its real cold,i don't run a choke and i know plenty of other people that do not run a choke,just pump the throttle a couple of times and start the motor,give it a minute to warm up and go. Save you're money :yahoo:

I messed with the jets,VS springs,power valves,but i could never get the full throttle hesitation out of it,talked to the tech's at BG and they agreed with what others have said and i had found out,VS do not work well with manual tranny's.
I installed a mechanical secondary carb and the problem was gone. There is a good explanation for it,it has to do with the vacume signal but i if i tried to explain it you would walk away going :huh:

:trumpet:

He can be trained!!

Jake, you probably already know my opinion, but here goes anyway....

DPFI, and for cheep that means do a LT or L98 setup, used....freeking fuel is just too damn high for mortal man to be dumping down any street machine these daze....your last name Gates or Buffett......???

:crutches::crutches:

Jake, you probably already know my opinion, but here goes anyway....

DPFI, and for cheep that means do a LT or L98 setup, used....freeking fuel is just too damn high for mortal man to be dumping down any street machine these daze....your last name Gates or Buffett......???

:crutches::crutches:

L98 get up is out. LT1 is also not appropriate. Runners are short and flow is horrible.

So the options for a front facing injection manifold is the weiand/holley stealth ram or the edelbrock pro-flo. Everybody has a single plane but they are money too and so are the throttle bodies. Then some injectors to support 500-550hp arent going to be cheap either. then the fuel pump new fuel lines, computer wiring harness all adds up fast.

So we are looking at a minumim $2500 for EFI. Versus $900 for a carbed motor.

Trust me I thought about it.