LED Question

TimAT

Addict, Cruise-In Bird-Run 1 Veteran
I have to replace the dash harness in the 74 Coupe. Would there be any advantage to swapping the instrument backlights and indicators over to LED bulbs? I know they last longer, but what about the brightness?

Most that I've seen run on 5 volts, so I'd have to put a resistor inline some place too. I could do that right at the headlight switch so that won't be a thing.

I have to replace the dash harness in the 74 Coupe. Would there be any advantage to swapping the instrument backlights and indicators over to LED bulbs? I know they last longer, but what about the brightness?

Most that I've seen run on 5 volts, so I'd have to put a resistor inline some place too. I could do that right at the headlight switch so that won't be a thing.

I can only see benefits. They last longer, less load, less load on rheostat, and should be available internally corrected to 12volts. I do not think you can use them in the T/S indicators. The flasher needs the current draw.

I can't see anything but benefits either (that's why I asked). I put a LED light bar across the back of my Harley. It's red, but hit the brakes and it makes it like daylight back there.

I can't see anything but benefits either (that's why I asked). I put a LED light bar across the back of my Harley. It's red, but hit the brakes and it makes it like daylight back there.

HUMPFGH.....you remember your comment if I had put LED's into my car yet, and I said no, on account of being the dash was a PIA to remove???

on the way down....welll .....that damn speedo is begging on it now....

so LED's they are....damn speedo....

:hunter::hunter::cussing::surrender:

I've heard speedo heads make a lot more noise than yours did. But I don't recall one that died with that much of a show. Now you have an excuse to put LED's in there too.

And I did get a little pink from the sun on Saturday- it's all gone now. Can't even see it anymore.

I've heard speedo heads make a lot more noise than yours did. But I don't recall one that died with that much of a show. Now you have an excuse to put LED's in there too.

And I did get a little pink from the sun on Saturday- it's all gone now. Can't even see it anymore.

Yeh, I"m back to normal, for me anyway.....I forgot the LED switch today, fixed the speedo....it WAS the cable, stiff as could be, pulled it out, and redid the graphite.. had the dash out also, put it all back and ran it up to 120....fine...
the old lube finally dried out....oh well.....only been some 11? years now, in Florida...:flash::crap::D