TKO prices going up ?

Probably cuz of higher prices on everything, oil...raw materials...chinese buying up every last bit of steel and alu for making junk.....

Supposed to go up with 12%, that would put the TKO close or at 4000 € (Kiesler). Hmm, curious how many will delay or delete this conversion after that.

4K, t'hat's a lot of moolah for a tranny, hmm..used T56 sounds more and more appealing

Oh yeah it's gone up. $1200 bucks or so in a couple years. It's now $4800 for an auto to TKO 600 conversion kit. I'm bummed, I planned & built my engine & drive train around the plan of getting one. No way in hell can I afford it now.

Oh yeah it's gone up. $1200 bucks or so in a couple years. It's now $4800 for an auto to TKO 600 conversion kit. I'm bummed, I planned & built my engine & drive train around the plan of getting one. No way in hell can I afford it now.

Join the club man, that's why a 200 4r is going to continue to be the cheepest possible way to overdrive in a shark,.....unless some China miracle tranny appears....for like a grand or so.....

IMO, all that's really needed is a 5 speed stick or a 4 speed auto.....

11 years ago I ditched my Muncie for a o/drive auto, and glad I did....
due to high cruising speeds....

I got the TKO 600 for $4600 shipped. Looking back it was not cheap but convenient.... that's what you pay for.... if you want a conversion kit that fits and gives you no headaches and the best customer service I have experienced so far (Keisler, Richard and gene were great) this is what you should buy....

Now, if you want the best value for your money and you don't mind fabbing up some stuff yourself... a used LS1 T56 combo INCLUDING ALL ACCESSORIES is less than $5000.....

With what I've learned over the past 4 years I'd buy a LS1/T56 combo if I had to do it again: AC and EFI included....

That said, the 5spd is by far the best mod I've done to the '79 :1st:

I agree about the 5-speed being a good mod, but the price ...:eek:

It's a sad thing that apart from a T56 there are not much options and even that one doesn't seem to fit without mayor surgery and cutting up the console (from what i've read anyway)

Last edited:
I am considering this as well. The aftermarket GM T56 with it's double overdrive is more attractive than a TKO with it's single overdrive gear, as well as being competitively priced compared to a Richmond 6 speed or Keisler kit.

What are the Pro's and Con's to installing a T56? Are there any write ups on this? I would prefer a T56 trans. if it is not prohibitive to install.
Does anyone know of an offset shifter for the T56 that will work in a C3?:fishing:

Thanks!

The six speed is definitely a great tranny but the TKO600 overdrive is more than plenty. I guess it really depends on your engine, f.e my C6 runs fine at 1400 rpm on the interstate, I don't have to shift down all the time in traffic....my '79 does not run at that low rpm.

Hi

I installed a brand new GM T56 Viper Tranny with the adaptor plate, so it fits the original manual clutch bellhousing.

6th gear is a 0,5 : 1 overdrive and I finally changed rear end from 3.70 to 4.11 to have better highway RPM.
The L71 likes to run 2000 RPM, so that's now perfect at 130 KMH.

I bought the tranny with adaptor plate and mechanical speedo output from D&D for 2200 USD, had to buy a new clutch because of 68 had different spline clutch ( but who would install a new tranny to a old clutch anyway ? ) and a 1310 Mopar auto slipjoke to clear the tunnel. Cut out the manual welded in crossmember and installed a auto crossmember slightly modified to adopt the T56. Shortened the existing drive shaft and all together was far less then 3000 USD.
The tunnel had to be cut a bit, but with the fiberglass tunnel, that's a piece of cake to do. Modified the original M21 shifter handle to fit the T56 and all looks original from the inside. Absolutely nothing visible unless you lay on the floor and check from underneath.

Would I do it again ? Yes, but mainly because of the cool factor. A TKO 5 Speed is more then enough. But unfortunately, KEISLER's TKO is more expensive than the strong version GM T56 Viper tranny from D&D.

If you check up the US Forum or German Forum and use the surge , you find plenty of pics I took during the mod.

By the way, of course this was a 4 speed M21 to 6 speed T56 conversion.

Rgds. Günther