Timing lights...

Facom (french...uh oh :) and Equus. I like the equus one, apart from that mine is pink :mad::bomb: , digital readout, dial back..the works.

Really old Craftsman, so old the cables have been replaced 3-4 times, non setback....that's for woosies who can read a degree wheel....:bump:

A setback light has a adjustment knob that delays the flash for a given time for seeing the timing mark always at whatever you set it at....

so when you rev the engine, the dizzy advances off the pointer/indicator so if you balancer is not indexed you have to guess the total advance....

the adjustment know has the degrees marked on it....so you adjust till the light returns to the initial setting, and read the differance on the knob scale....

:thumbs:

Facom (french...uh oh :) and Equus. I like the equus one, apart from that mine is pink :mad::bomb: , digital readout, dial back..the works.

I use the Equss,except mine is silver not pink,dial back,digital etc etc.works very well and no problems.

Sound like I have the same one, but mines red. It's great for the timing & setting the RPM, & voltage checks.

Thanks for the input guys. The last timing light I owned was over 10 years ago and it was just a light - no dial back or digital readout!

Looking at the Equus 3568. It's digital and does everything except check the voltage - I have a multimeter that can do that...

I`m using the "Flaming River" one wire....it takes two C- batteries and hooks up to #1 spark plug, no dial back feature but all I`m interested in is total anyway.
redvetracr

But to read total with a non dial back you have to have a degreed damper (I'm sure you are using a quality damper, like a ATI super damper) but a stock one isn't degreed at all.