Carb Question

SmokeyVette

Adrenaline Junkie
Ok, so all mods should be listed below, in my sig.

I'm looking for more pull up top, when I'm in town playing light to light (theoretically:D) I pull just about anyone off the line if I get traction, but when I'm running through the actual quarter (no time as of yet) everyone seems to catch me in third when I'm above 3500, I'm thinking that it's because of the "small carb" but I wanted to get an expert's opinion.

I know that the cam isn't much more than an RV cam but I'm just feeling like the engine isn't giving it's full potential, it feels like it's being "held-back" and I'm thinking that it's a lack-of-air issue.

Here are the cam specs:

Hyd. flat tappet, 110 Lobe Center Angle, 275/277 duration, 219/229 duration @ .050, 462/482 lift

Hello? Is this thing on?

I went ahead and purchased a new carb anyway, the way I see it my Nova needs a new carb so it gets hand-me-downs from the 'vette and the 'vette gets a bigger carb so it's win/win.

I will install it tomorrow but I won't be posting an update because no one cares.:crap:

My computer is really old and I have a slow connection. It takes it 30 minutes just to get ready to work. I just saw your post too. Give the collective "US" a chance.

My carb story-- I had a 350 (still have it BTW) with a 650 it'd run out of air at 5000 RPM. I tried an 850 and it was crappy at low RPM but would pull until I quit at 7000. ended up with a 750. Best of both.

Sorry dude,i have not been on in a while,was entertaining Uncle Rich Yesterday
(Red Cherry) and it is Bow season for Deer it opened last week,from now till January the vette gets put on the back burner.

I don't think simply putting on a bigger carb will yield the performance you are looking for. Most 350's can't even use a full 600 cfm. Especially if it is an "RV" cam; it will like the small carb. Many people tend to over-carb for their application.

What about your exhaust? I didn't see anything listed.

If you're looking for quarter mile performance I'd gear it lower...like 4.11 and put in a higher stall converter.

Last edited:
It sounds like a tuning (a/f ratio and/or timing) issue. Also make sure the fuel filter and fuel lines flow freely (no kinks in metal or rubber lines).

I'm sorry about that, I was still kinda peeved from dealing with Scoggin Dickey. Their techs and engine builders are awesome and really know their stuff but the guys behind the counter in the parts department tried to sell me a fuel pressure regulator that is adjustable from 1-4 psi.:censored:

Not to mention I was the second guy in line at 5:30 (they close at 6:30) and started dealing with the guy behind the counter at around 5:45 but ended up leaving AFTER they closed! I won't even get into the multiple receipts thing either.

I kinda wanted to put the damn thing on but couldn't because I ended up getting home around dusk and the damn mosquitos were so big they were trying to carry off my black lab.:crap::nuts:

Anyway, I installed it but don't have the calibration kit yet, so I can't fine tune it for my engine and 13 inches Hg at idle. It's a little rich but it pulls faster in the higher RPM ranges so currently I'm happy since the 'vette has a better carb and the nova will have a good one as well. With it's 300hp vette cam (seriously, that's ALL I know about it) old skool iron heads from a 327 (no, I don't know why either) 350 tranny and 2:73 rear gear I don't think it will ever need more than 600 cfm.

Yes the 750 is a little big but I was conversing with a local engine builder around here (he is considered a GOD) and he told me that my engine needed around 700 cfm, but Edelbrock doesn't make a 700 cfm carb, Holley makes one but I don't know shit about Holleys so I'm left with the 750. I'll probably be building a roller motor within the next few years so the 750 will more-than-likely be perfect for it.

Thank you all for your input, seriously I really appreciate it guys and if you have any tips or suggestions please feel free to post it up!