GrandAm Rack & Pinion - Aluminum Mounts

Tim

I saw TT's comments about poly mounts. I looked but I couldn't find a supplier. I did find a link to Aluminum Rack & Pinion Mounts for British Sports Cars.

http://www.goodparts.com/shop/index.php?categoryID=14

Is this too radical for a street car? It looks like a better solution than a poly mount?

I'm in the middle of building brackets these last couple days.

The Grand Am rack has rubber mounts and I would think that poly would be a big improvement in stability of the rack. Aluminum would be stiffer but you have to watch clamping the R&P housing too much. There is a sliding component inside the tube and you don't want to distort it.

The Grand Am rack has rubber mounts and I would think that poly would be a big improvement in stability of the rack. Aluminum would be stiffer but you have to watch clamping the R&P housing too much. There is a sliding component inside the tube and you don't want to distort it.

NOT only that, but I can assure you that stock rubber is fine....and who says that aluminum would fit the rack, and then the mounts are totally different for the G/A rack....

:chinese:

Th rubber is not satisfactory IMO, in my point of view a rack should be mounted as solid as possible, it should not flex. The more rigid the mounting, the more precise the steering input & feedback

Th rubber is not satisfactory IMO, in my point of view a rack should be mounted as solid as possible, it should not flex. The more rigid the mounting, the more precise the steering input & feedback

True, but I turn the wheels manually or under assist, and that rack moves maybe 1/8 inch side/side....how solid need be?? and second off, the G/A rack mounting requires a totally different mount type than those pieces shown....

maybe a wider mount flange to the width of the casting?? and then a smaller/wider clamp to hold it down......

:beer:

NOT only that, but I can assure you that stock rubber is fine....and who says that aluminum would fit the rack, and then the mounts are totally different for the G/A rack....

:chinese:

Hello Gene,
"
"the mounts are totally different for the grandam" True! I think those pictured were for Triumph Spitfire or an MGB.

My question was: Does it make sense to make an aluminum mount for the grandam rack since poly mounts are unavailable? If they use them on a track MGB, why not use them on a C3?