C5 Mirror Repair/Install/Removal

gr8vet

Hey guys, landed a mirror, now, anyone have procedure on how to get the old one out? I understand it is very easy to break the whole thing.

thanks

tt

I have no idea, what are you replacing, the glass or the entire mirror?

They covered this a few weeks ago in Corvette Fever or Vette.... seems to be a pain in the rear to replace these mirrors. It was a pain 30 years ago and it hasn't changed....

remove door panel, shine a flashlight up into that area you're trying to get to and grow yourself two more joints between wrist and ellbow....

I removed the mirrors on the '79 when I painted it and almost broke my wrist trying to get them back on the door....

good luck....

I have no idea, what are you replacing, the glass or the entire mirror?

Just replacing the mirror, not the entire unit. I think I read time long ago something about it is on a "ball and socket" type joint that pops out, and can easily break.

I may just go ahead and break the glass and see whats under there, and hopefully not break the mechanism.

I'll check in Vette and other mags as suggested by mybad79 too.

thanks

t

Update: You gotta love the Vette article, "remove the glass carefully", duh! I did find another article and the glass does just pop out from the motor. link to excellent article by fellow Corvette guy.

http://97vette.co/howto/mirror/index.html

Last edited:
Hey Terry, Check with Paul B. on the C-5 mirror job. He took the whole thing off and sent it to a guy I found in a magazine article. He said it came out great... anyway he may know what is behind there if you are just replacing the glass. What happened to the MACC-MACC branch of the club?

Sorry I missed the meeting yesterday, I had a Family reunion. Hope I didn't get elected to some position cause I wasn't there.