Cam gear drives

BangkokDean

What are the + and - to using a cam gear drive setup, keeping in mind I have STS type baffle side pipes SBC motor.

+ no stretch ---> how noticeable is this on a 350-450 HP SBC ?

- price

- noise ---> never heard it in person but many say it's loud

Cam tower gears are straight cut gears. You'll have a medium loud whine almost like a blower would sound.

It's pretty loud, Xander has one on his car (milodon gear drive) and you can hear it above the open headers :)

If it sounds anything like this, then......

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXgvqFhUs4I&feature=related[/ame]

I hear the people that do/did have one, complain about the wine. Besides stretch (which I doubt is really a problem with a quality chain) I don't see any advantage.

You can get a gear drive with a different cut in the gears that is quiet,but the whine is cool sounding.

A co-worker has a Jackson setup on his 383; the whine is very subdued--just enough to let you know it's there.

A co-worker has a Jackson setup on his 383; the whine is very subdued--just enough to let you know it's there.

and if you get the quiet version, check the clearances carefully, and use a molly assembly lube durring the assembly, process, youll find that after a few thousand miles the sound levels dropped off too almost un-noticable, in fact unless its spinning up about 6000 rpm its almost not decernable

Hi

I prefer listening to the solid lifters or the vacuum sound of the carbs.
This whining sound of this gear drives is annoying.

Just my opinion.

Rgds. Günther