Rocker Channel Inserts - How To

WickedFastVette

This could become a descent thread on how to repair rusty rocker channels by using the insert pieces that places like Zip among others sell. Here's a link to the pieces I'm talking about:

Front Insert

Center Insert

Rear Insert

I'm working on my '81 frame off and my number 2 body mount locations in the rocker channels are rusted completely out. The damage isn't nearly as severe as some that I've seen but this is a pretty big project for me. I'll post some pics of my actual rust areas later this evening. I'm definitely in a situation where the rusty sections have to be cut out and repaired but the inserts should work fine.

So, here is the reason for my post. I have ordered the two front rocker channel inserts; one has arrived and the other is on back order. Absolutely zero instructions came with the part and I only have a limited idea of how to install these. I believe I am supposed to cut out the rocker channel just in the area that is around the body mount and so that there is nothing left of it in the rectangular area of the bottom of the A-Pillar. Then I think I am supposed to slide the insert up from the bottom and into the A-Pillar. The questions start there.

Do I go ahead and weld the insert in at that point once the rust has been cut out and the insert slid into place? Any suggestions for weld points? Also, I'm thinking that this insert is going to add thickness between the rocker channels and the frame and that this will throw off the original shim thicknesses. Do I just add shims to all the other body mount locations equal to the thickness of the inserts?

Basically it would be great to hear ideas from the group and from people that may have already done this repair so that we can compare notes and make this easier for other people that need to do the repair.

:fishing:

When I did this one, I used Rails from Caladonia that are slipped in under the existing rails and welded in place. I brushed, sand blasted and cut out the real bad places and painted everything with POR15. I didn't want to completely remove the #2 mount so I cut out the bottom of the pocket and fabbed a new piece for the bottom.
The pieces you have are replacements for the existing ones. That means removing the old parts and then welding in the new ones.
If your lower A Pillar is in tact at all I would clean it up and weld in a patch in the bottom of the pocket, that first pic is actually a #1 and #2 mount, you need to cut out the spot welds and push the boxed section up into the bottom end of the A Pillar.
The rail and #3 mount pocket is a lot more work.
Do 1 side at a time. Fab up a Jig to attach to the door Latch post and the door hinge bolts before you cut it apart, that will help to keep the distances set right, Block the body up nice and stable.
hate to say this, but over on the other forum there are several good threads on this.