Lets talk ignition boxes

guru

So I am lookin at the crane HI-6 CD box. So what do these things actually DO?

empty your wallet :D I've got one too but with the boost control, map sensor & knob.

empty your wallet :D I've got one too but with the boost control, map sensor & knob.

As usual, TT about right, for anything approaching a street driven car, for a balls out racer, well, maybe....but how many street engines you see that rev to 8 grand?? freeking idle at 2 grand???

I understand the HEI dies off about 6 grand.....I maybe hit 5500 some times, that's about it....

:stirpot::censored:

Does it manage the advance or something? Some come with locking plates I believe.

the guys jokeing with you have a bit of truth in thier replies, but to answer your question, the ignition control boxes are a part of a complete system, and youll need a matched set of components to get the full benefits, the boxes vary a great deal in what they do, but the better ones increase the consistancy and control on the spark strength and advance curve and can have features like adding multi spark ignition below about 3000 rpm that tends to relay plug fouling, keep in mind the coil,ignition wires, plugs, and distrib need to match the capacitys of the box or you wont get the full benefits

the guys jokeing with you have a bit of truth in thier replies, but to answer your question, the ignition control boxes are a part of a complete system, and youll need a matched set of components to get the full benefits, the boxes vary a great deal in what they do, but the better ones increase the consistancy and control on the spark strength and advance curve and can have features like adding multi spark ignition below about 3000 rpm that tends to relay plug fouling, keep in mind the coil,ignition wires, plugs, and distrib need to match the capacitys of the box or you wont get the full benefits

Rough idle due to too rich?? a mix is about the ONLY help a MSD box did for me....

on a DPFI engine, I doubt you see any difference....

They do nothing for performance on a street car, you would be better off spending your money on VLT's.

An ignition box can do many things for you. It can produce multiple spark each time the plug fires up to 3000rpm some of the newer models can maintain it even longer giving a better idle and easier start up,they can give you a hotter spark through 6000rpm,they can also enhance the dwell controll resulting in spark improvements,they can be used as a rev limiter some having a single stage and others can have multiple rev limit stages,you can add other controllers to them,like an advance and retard timing controller for cars that run boost or nitrous,some dizzys require an ign box like the MSD pro billet. For the money that an ign box cost like a 6a or 6al (l=limiter) $160 or less,they are a good,easy,upgrade to any ignition system.

IMO they are worth installing,and not a heavy brick or a waste of money.

An ignition box can do many things for you. It can produce multiple spark each time the plug fires up to 3000rpm some of the newer models can maintain it even longer giving a better idle and easier start up,they can give you a hotter spark through 6000rpm,they can also enhance the dwell controll resulting in spark improvements,they can be used as a rev limiter some having a single stage and others can have multiple rev limit stages,you can add other controllers to them,like an advance and retard timing controller for cars that run boost or nitrous,some dizzys require an ign box like the MSD pro billet. For the money that an ign box cost like a 6a or 6al (l=limiter) $160 or less,they are a good,easy,upgrade to any ignition system.

Rev limiters are for "girly men.":quote::tomato::tomato::tomato:

:cry: Ouch man,thats hitting below the belt.
You know i only put the rev limiter in my car in case i let somebody drive it and they keep missing or grinding gears :pprrtt:

Guru, What you got under the hood?

I've been thinking about either a box set-up(MSD6AL)with my stock dist., a Mallory 75 series hei with Hyfire 6AL or a DUI upgrade. There's a pretty good book you can pickup at Barnes and Noble which goes into enough detail on all the different ignition set-ups available and what they do without getting too technical. How to Build High Performance Ignition Systems by Todd Ryden.

All three set-ups WILL have a REV limiter. I don't have an "Automatic" to control my shifting for me:D

Last edited:
All kidding aside, I have driven Kevin's car, and it revs beyond the limits of good point performance. His trigger ignition is fine for his application.

Smokey, if you INSIST on an upgrade, I can't say enough about the DUI HEI. I have one in the 81, and it is troublefree.

Guru, What you got under the hood?

I've been thinking about either a box set-up(MSD6AL)with my stock dist., a Mallory 75 series hei with Hyfire 6AL or a DUI upgrade. There's a pretty good book you can pickup at Barnes and Noble which goes into enough detail on all the different ignition set-ups available and what they do without getting too technical. How to Build High Performance Ignition Systems by Todd Ryden.

All three set-ups WILL have a REV limiter. I don't have an "Automatic" to control my shifting for me:D

Right now GURU has a lot of thought under his hood....

:quote::smash::twitch:

All kidding aside, I have driven Kevin's car, and it revs beyond the limits of good point performance. His trigger ignition is fine for his application.

Smokey, if you INSIST on an upgrade, I can't say enough about the DUI HEI. I have one in the 81, and it is troublefree.

I'll have to get with Kevin to see what his specs are. I am leaving revs on the table right now. The street/strip DUI is suppose to rev cleanly to 7000RPM. I need good control up to 6000-6500 RPM. I can get to 6k, but it is not consistent. My engine is far from stock. Forged bottom, hyd roller, 10.7 CR.

I know that you don't really like the Mallory Unilite. Do you know anything about the Mallory 75 series?

With the DUI, I'll get a little more than I need. With the Mal 75/hyfire box, I'll get a lot more than I need....at a higher price.

Also, I know that this thread is about ignitions(sorry about the hijack), but one more question....is the melonized gear a good replacement for the brass dizzy gear? With the DUI, I can get either one and have been told to get the mel gear.

yeah "girly men.":whose engines tend to stay together rather than throwing expensive broken parts and oil under the car when a clutch fails, or a torque converter or u-joint fails........winning requires being able to run without breaking

You know i only put the rev limiter in my car in case i let somebody drive it and they keep missing or grinding gears :pprrtt:

That's that POS centerforce clutch.:smash:

Now see what you have started Jeff :stirpot:
It did take Jeff a couple of minutes to get use to my clutch :huh2: but if he would wear some real shoes once in a while he would probably of had no problem what so ever. Just for you Jeff i lightened up the return spring tension so you can drive it bare footed now,and the throttle return spring :suspicious:

That's that POS centerforce clutch.:smash:

Now see what you have started Jeff :stirpot:
It did take Jeff a couple of minutes to get use to my clutch :huh2: but if he would wear some real shoes once in a while he would probably of had no problem what so ever. Just for you Jeff i lightened up the return spring tension so you can drive it bare footed now,and the throttle return spring :suspicious:

Kevin...see post 17. What you got in there?