Section testing electric wiring

cajos1968

I'm currently busy (besides that D&%n door) to install the new Harnesses. Is there a method to test sections of the harness. For instance check the backup lights , blinkers, markers etc.

Can I just hook up the battery and put power on the individual pins of the connector? or do I fry the lot.

I'm currently busy (besides that D&%n door) to install the new Harnesses. Is there a method to test sections of the harness. For instance check the backup lights , blinkers, markers etc.

Can I just hook up the battery and put power on the individual pins of the connector? or do I fry the lot.

I am not really sure what your question is. You want to test for continuity, identification, placement, function, what?????????

If I was doing it, I would install it complete and just check function before looming/burying the wires, but that's just me.

I think he wants to test the harness by hooking up a battery.

You could power up the whole lot but it will be easier to use aligator clips to power the cricuit side of a fuse terminal, that way you can power individual circuits and not worry about others shorting out. OR you could power the main feed and remove all the fuses and then fuse those you want to test. Remember, some circuits are non fused with a fuse but a fusible link, like the starter motor and the power windows on some years.

If you feel your harness may not be in good shape, i would suggest you buy and install a new one now. It'll be the best money spent, it will transform the car. Nothing worse than hunting electrical gremlins.

I just hooked up a new rear Harness, with lights, blinkers etc. Only harness in the car at this moment (all others will be replaced by new to). I want to hook up power and see if the induvidual lights work.

Cajos

Here is the tool for powering up and/or testing anything in your car. Just connect to the car's battery or a remote one.

Even shows ground circuits, a must for modern computer switched circuits.

Best electrical tool I've ever used. Wish they had them 30 years ago.
cheaper on ebay.

http://www.powerprobe.com/

Powerprobe2.jpg

I just hooked up a new rear Harness, with lights, blinkers etc. Only harness in the car at this moment (all others will be replaced by new to). I want to hook up power and see if the induvidual lights work.

Then this is what I would do. Take the old harness that would have plugged into the rear harness, cut it off about 3" long, strip all the ends, identify with your schematic the colors you wish to power up. Obtain a FUSED jumper wire, then connect each desired circuit to 12volts one at a time.. Follow?

Cajos

Here is the tool for powering up and/or testing anything in your car. Just connect to the car's battery or a remote one.

cheaper on ebay.

Powerprobe2.jpg

Yes Noonie, I still need to buy one of these. Looks like a good tool to have.

Cajos

cheaper on ebay.

Powerprobe2.jpg

Yes Noonie, I still need to buy one of these. Looks like a good tool to have.

Price? I didn't have time to look for a price.:drink:

I got the Probe ll (the one without the voltage readout) on ebay a few years ago for 50 bucks.
If I didn't have it, the Probe lll would be worth 100.00 to me.