Intake Manifold Recomendations

Sky65

Newbie to VetteMod. Just the kind of site I was looking for. I am a member of a few others as well but the tech stuff is most interesting to me and that would be modified.

I was wondering which intake you all prefer. Edelbrock RPM or Weiand Stealth? Why? This is for a 350/350 in a 65. MSD dist and ign, Hooker with sidepipes, 750 VS demon, Richmond 5spd, 3.08 rear.

Thanks
Tom

If you goto the tech section, there is a thread on an intake comparison

Edelbrock RPM - More power
Weiand Stealth - More Torque

More than likely a wash, but I would get the weiand.

Neither, while I've got some experience with the Performer RPM intake, I prefer the Performer. The reason why is because the man I knew who had the Performer RPM loved feeling the power "kick-in" at 2500. Now I know that your cam and heads are a big part of that but I prefer to have power off idle through 6000, if you think about it, when do you spin a street engine higher than that? Also, it provides more torque which is what gets you off the line. It's all depending on what you want, do you want to "punk" people off the line or do you want to run 'em down on the top end?

Neither, while I've got some experience with the Performer RPM intake, I prefer the Performer. The reason why is because the man I knew who had the Performer RPM loved feeling the power "kick-in" at 2500. Now I know that your cam and heads are a big part of that but I prefer to have power off idle through 6000, if you think about it, when do you spin a street engine higher than that? Also, it provides more torque which is what gets you off the line. It's all depending on what you want, do you want to "punk" people off the line or do you want to run 'em down on the top end?
I had a performer rpm on the car and it ran well. I pulled the carb to paint the intake and I found the carb mounting studs were not centered on the plenum. They offset the carb about 1/8" to the side and was very close to exposing all four carb bores to one side of the plenum. I swapped the intake out for a performer eps already had. My seat of the pants feel is the car does not run as well. Down on power through out the rpm range most significantly in the higher end. I was going to buy another rpm but thought maybe I should look at the Weiand.

Thanks
Tom

Well, in that case, I'd say to stick with the known good. If you were happy with the way the car ran with the Performer RPM, get a new one and enjoy it.

:thumbs:

Well, in that case, I'd say to stick with the known good. If you were happy with the way the car ran with the Performer RPM, get a new one and enjoy it.

I'm sure your right. My problem is I have one of those "is this the best it can be?" genes. I can't leave anything alone. :banghead:

I'm sure your right. My problem is I have one of those "is this the best it can be?" genes. I can't leave anything alone. :banghead:

I'm the same way, see my carb thread for proof. I'm sure there is another intake out there that you might like better but it sounds like you found a great one as it is. The way I look at it, how much better could it get? I mean, intake manifolds are important but it's not like you'll see a 50 hp increase.

Edelbrock makes suck ass piss poor excuses for intakes. The port alignment.... and gasket matching requires hours of grinding to make them right. Now even molds so old that the intake is also wrong. I bought three different intakes and the Weiands were always the closest to right out of the box.

You don't install a pickup truck "Performer" on a motor that can go over over 5000 rpm

Well, I certainly didn't know all of that. I guess I'll have to check out another brand when I get the extra money, but someone already spent a lot of time getting my intake worked out (he ran 7's in the 1/8 with it) and I've heard that Edelbrock's product quality has been lacking as of late.

What would you suggest for the O.P.s motor?

Thanks for the responses. Not sure what I will do. The car did run well with the performer rpm. But, the miss-manufacture of the one I had and gkull's comments lean me toward the Weiand.

Thanks for the responses. Not sure what I will do. The car did run well with the performer rpm. But, the miss-manufacture of the one I had and gkull's comments lean me toward the Weiand.

I agree but find it odd that someone can down on a highly used brand yet remain quiet when asked which specific intake to use.

THOUSANDS of people use Edelbrock, and my engine pulls to 6,000 just like the intake says it will. I'm always willing to go faster though so I'm open to suggestion as to which intake is the best for a certain application but all I'm hearing is the sound of crickets chirping...:confused:

I am using the Brodix Bracket II intake,it pulls very hard to 7K and over,but it does not come in till around 2500.if you want all the tq down low and early this is probably not the intake for you,but if you want will that pull hard up high i would suggest this one.

I also had an Edelbrok ESP intake on the original L82 motor with a Edel 650 carb,it was an improvement over the GM alum intake and the Quadrajet

I am using the Brodix Bracket II intake,it pulls very hard to 7K and over,but it does not come in till around 2500.if you want all the tq down low and early this is probably not the intake for you,but if you want will that pull hard up high i would suggest this one.

I also had an Edelbrok ESP intake on the original L82 motor with a Edel 650 carb,it was an improvement over the GM alum intake and the Quadrajet

There is always the original Z/28-LT1 intake. Ran one for years. Went to 6500 easy and had fairly good low end.:cool:

Maybe I was little harsh. Any motors ultimate power is held there by it's weakest link.

On back to back dyno testing. The stock L-82 aluminum manifolds out classed the Edelbrock performer. My 355 ci that was nearly 400 hp. lost power across the board and just fell on it's face before 5350 rpm. Where the L-82 was good out another 800 to 1000 rpm. So I got to looking at the Performer. It does not have ports designed to aid induction. To get a ram effect you have to start the individual port large and consistently get smaller on its way to the head and ultimately the intake valve.

Its a physical law of flow. The Performer is only marginally better than a junk GM iron manifold. Without any thought to port tuning.

The Stock l-82 aluminum on the other hand is very close to the famed aluminum Lt-1 intakes of the 70 time frame.

The market forced Edelbrock to actually make a functional "RPM" intake many years later. Holley, weiand, and others were actual performance intakes.