SMC on '81 ???

Just found info on another thread. thanks

BTW, looking at the other discussions on SMC, from experience on the 82, I was stupid and cut in the break louvers and used fiberglass resin. The next morning they were laying on the tires, stupid!!!!

Went back with epoxy resin and fiberglass strips, tried to whack them out with a hammer and they are holding just fine.

When I went to Carlisle this year I ask that question to the GM group. To my surprise they didn't know but, said ask a retire guy named John at the gm tent. Here is what he said." In the early 70's they started using SMC (not the kind that is used today) on flat panels at first." "So, the early cars contained both because the tooling was very expense to make." "As the years went on so did new tooling replace old until the whole car was SMC?" He even told me how it was made but, that took a good 1/2 to explain so I won't go into it. Your car is all SMC.

Danny

This is how I understand it. They started using SMC around 73, around 80 they added a mold release compound to it. So the mid 70s SMC will stick to poly resin, but not as well as epoxy resin. I used poly resin before I knew the difference to fix a small hole in my hood (78), the repair is stout.