BUY the GM Shop manuals

big2bird

Charter Member, Founder Bird-Run, Cruise-In Bird-R
http://www.gregsonline.com/eshop/Html/Products/corvette-books.htm

These are the BEST single investment on these cars.

AVOID the Haynes style books. TOO generic, and poorly written.

The GM shop manual published by Helms is what you seek.

The AIM, GM(assembly instruction manual), used as reference on the assembly line is also valuable, but not nearly as usefull as the shop manual.

http://www.gregsonline.com/eshop/Html/Products/corvette-books.htm

These are the BEST single investment on these cars.

AVOID the Haynes style books. TOO generic, and poorly written.

The GM shop manual published by Helms is what you seek.

The AIM, GM(assembly instruction manual), used as reference on the assembly line is also valuable, but not nearly as usefull as the shop manual.

Do they have a lot of pictures for those of us that can't read.:huh2:

Yep, good idea to get the factory manual. I also have the Corvette Parts & Illustration Catalog. Good for the original part numbers if you're trying to find something OEM and the illustrations can be a good aid for disassembly and reassembly :thumbs:

Here's a question that maybe somebody who is familiar with the factory service manuals can answer.......

I want to get the Helm manual for my 78, but 1978 was the last year that the Corvette was included in the manual for Impalas, Chevelles, Camaros etc. The 1979 manual is specific for the Corvette. Since there's little difference between the 78 & 79 cars, Am I better off with a 79 manual? Is there more Vette-specific detail in the 79 book?

Inquiring minds want to know! :confused:

I guess now is not a good time to suggest the book. The one you can drag around the garage, or toss into the jack compartment.:devil:

I've got the 79 and I think I bought it via Zip. The photos are not always that clear, for the rest, together with the AIM, is everything you need when doing some serious restoration/mod work

I don't have one, somehow the one for 82 doesn't help with my car at all. Everything in it is wrong :D