Anybody Know Halfshaft Lengths?

BBShark

Garage Monkey
Staff member
Anyone know the center to center length of early and late C3 halfshafts and perhaps C4 halfshafts?

Anyone know the center to center length of early and late C3 halfshafts and perhaps C4 halfshafts?

13 and 13/16ths is the loop center to loop center length of my extra early shark steel 1/2 shaft laying on the shelf.....just measured it at 100f in the garage.....YMMV on that length depending on temps.....:hunter::clobbered::bullshit:

Wow, I had no idea the C4's were that much longer. Wonder if they could be shortened (reliably).

Looks like 63-79 is 13 7/8 and 80-82 is 13 1/2.

Sure, just put them in a lathe and cut out the weld, the ends will fall off and then shorten the tube and reweld. Any axle shop can do that.

Wow, I had no idea the C4's were that much longer. Wonder if they could be shortened (reliably).

Looks like 63-79 is 13 7/8 and 80-82 is 13 1/2.

Yep. Any driveline shop can do that, and rebalance them. $80 or so.

Just for kicks, I weighed one of the spare C4 shafts I have laying around. According to my Sunbeam bathroom scale, it appears to be 6 pounds (with both u-joints). Anybody got a C3 shaft and a scale to give a rough comparison to the C4 shaft?

Just for kicks, I weighed one of the spare C4 shafts I have laying around. According to my Sunbeam bathroom scale, it appears to be 6 pounds (with both u-joints). Anybody got a C3 shaft and a scale to give a rough comparison to the C4 shaft?

A 2 1/2 C3 shaft w/u-joints is 9lbs.

I thought so too, so if so, they all use 1350 joints on the halfshafts and 1310s on the driveshaft

Yes, even the Dana 44, same as 80-82. Here's a C4 D44 next to an 82 D44, same 1350s on the halfshafts ad 1310s on the driveshaft

248d91ba56f376.jpg

The 80 and 81 automatic Dana's use 1330 joints on the halfshafts, The 4 speeds used the 1350.
Mike

So it sounds like I could use shortened C4 aluminum halfshafts with my C3 stuff. I really need halfshaft about 14 7/8 inches long. Maybe this is the answer.

I am looking at using Brembo GT calipers and spot caliper for the parking brake. The parking brake is the challenge, it's a mechanical floating caliper that is deep enough that it interferes with the frame rail. If I had longer half shafts and reworked the trailing arms, the caliper would clear.