Filler over old filler and adhesive/ filler.

enkeivette

I'm going to be using this Evercoat product called Fibertech. It's reinforced filler for use on SMC/ glass and metal. I've been told that you're supposed to spray epoxy primer before the filler. This is a problem for me because I don't have a spray gun, I'm taking the car in to get sprayed.

So here's the question, can I apply the Fibertech filler directly over the body, the old unknown filler, and the SMC adhesive/ filler?

1z3p4wl.jpg

Epoxy primer is usually used to seal whatever is under the epoxy: old filler, unknown filler, old paint, old primer..... there's no reason why you can't just brush the epoxy primer instead of using a paint gun.
I have done this many times when I wanted to seal exposed metal. It's going to be sanded and topcoated with primer anyways... and very often I do not wnat to charge the compressor and get the gun durty just for a very small job like spraying 2oz primer.....
I've used Kustom Shop DTM (direct to metal) epoxy from TCPglobal with good results, less than half the price of PPG DP epoxy

The cheapest epoxy primer that I can find is $50 with the activator. Do you think that normal primer would do fine just for the body work?

The cheapest epoxy primer that I can find is $50 with the activator. Do you think that normal primer would do fine just for the body work?

One reason for using Epoxy is that is not hygroscopic like regular primer. It seals, moisture cannot get thru to the fiberglass or metal or whatever you spray or brush it on.
You can use it on bare metal/fiberglass or on top of primer before you spray basecoat.

You're going to have a lot of money and work invested in that job, don't cheap out on $100 for one coat of epoxy (that's a gallon incl activator from TCPglobal).

I won't cheap out on the paint, primer or clear. It's just that a gallon of decent primer is like $100 while a quart of cheap primer is $50. I'll probably just buy the full gallon and pour out a bit to brush on for the body work. Will this stuff last in the can after being opened for a few weeks?

Thanks again man.

It lasts a long time but you should store it in the house (cool environment, AC).

Spray a reduced epoxy coat on the primer to seal it, if you paint the car in a dark color use black or dark grey epoxy, the base will cover better than sprayed over white epoxy or light grey primer.

Why would you cheap out on any type of primer/paint? I mean, your paint is only as good as what is underneath it. There is a reason why some brands cost more than others - quality. Just a tip.

I don't know about other primers, but I do know that PPG's DP's has a shelf life on them as soon as you open the can (catalyst). And if you don't prime over it within seven days, you will need to sand it for anything to stick to it.
The DP401LF, and the DP402LF carry a 14 day shelf life once you open
them, they may become ineffective if used after this time frame
possibly resulting in a finish that is not fully cured.

wow, I wasn't aware of the catalyst shelf life. I searched the net and found this on hotrodders.com:

I contacted PPG yesterday regarding the lacquer thinner issue and they responded with the following:
"Thank you for your interest in PPG products. DPLF Epoxy Primer has a 7 day window. If properly mixed, and the product is within it's shelf life it should not wipe off with lacquer thinner. You might want to check the manufactured date (bottom of can}. The DPLF Epoxy primer has a shelf life of 7 years unopened and 1 year opened. The catalyst DP401/402LF has a shelf life of 2 years unopened and 14 days opened. If these product are past their shelf life they will not cure and can be wiped off with lacquer thinner. For your convenience we have attached a Product Bulletin on DPLF Epoxy Primer."

I just had a look at my primers (PPG and Kustom DTM) - nothing on the container about shelf life. The Kustom shop DTM epoxy primer was about 3 months old when I used it and it cured perfectly fine.
Maybe that's why they sent me 1 gal epoxy primer and several small sealed containers with the catalyst.... smart..... would be nice if they told me about the shelf life....

Last edited: