what i did yesterday and a question

joehalford01

Hey guys,

Thought I should post up some shots of the wiring set-up for my new electric fan, it's not all done but i'm pretty proud of it.

Here's a shot of the radiator and fan, ignore the zip ties, i'll explain shortly :withstupid:. I also plan to fab a top cover for the shroud but thats a paycheck or two down the line.
P9070091.jpg

I purchased a sensor and relay kit to power the electric fan, I couldn't stand the idea of just randomly screwing it somewhere :huh2:, so i fabbed this mount up out of 24 gauge sheet steel from tractor supply.
P9070079.jpg
P9070080.jpg
P9070083.jpg
I placed the relay all the way to the side so that i can expand later, i figure i can get 2-3 more relays in there in the future if need be for the headlights or an electric waterpump. It hides the relay, mounts it, and provides some light protection from whatever-shit i don't know lol. I riveted it the driver side fender, mostly because i wanted it to look more professional then some nuts and bolts or screws would. Although i think they would all hold the same either way.

Here are some shots of the final wiring all cleaned up, you can see where i gouged the fresh paint re-installing the radiator. I'm way too impatient to wait for paint to cure, i'll touch it up later :bomb:.
P9070086.jpg
P9070087.jpg
P9070088.jpg

It took me about half a day to get all this done, but i did my best to wire it properly, I pull all the split looms apart and ran everything in as though it were part of the exsisiting harness, so it's all completly hidden....except for two things which i need help with, here's number one:
this is the splice i used to get my power source, it's a push in style connector, i don't know how well it will hold up to vibration though, this occurred to me while i was installing it. Any thoughts? I'm trying to avoid :chinese: made crimps because they look like ass to be quite frank lol. any suggestions on high quality automotive grade stuff for this application?
P9070096.jpg

My second question, i originally purchased an in radiator fan switch, it dosn't work well for a number of reasons, one of them being the fins are so close on this radiator that you can't shove it through. Since i had to mount it way on the side, the only way i could attach it was via zip-ties. The bundle of wires there are for the switch as well, it's not permanent so no sense in making it pretty. I found out that there is a temp switch in the passenger side head to turn the aux fan on (which is gone now), what size is it? I'd like to replace it with a new switch and run the wiring over there. Thanks for looking and feel free to give me any opinions good or bad.
P9070089.jpg

Looks good. To make the crimp on the terminal ends look better, slide a piece of heat shrink tubing over the wire, install the terminal, then push the heat shrink back up over the crimp and shrink it. Just a suggestion, I like using a good crimp tool, then soldering the crimp too. No worries about the crimp letting go.

:thumbs:

Looks good. To make the crimp on the terminal ends look better, slide a piece of heat shrink tubing over the wire, install the terminal, then push the heat shrink back up over the crimp and shrink it. Just a suggestion, I like using a good crimp tool, then soldering the crimp too. No worries about the crimp letting go.

thanks dude, i did use heat shrink on all my crimps, i considered soldering it but my skills there are very lacking and i didn't want to practice in my engine bay just yet.

Does anyone know the size for the passenger head fan switch on the 1980 cars? I'm guessing it's either 3/8" or 1/2", should i just pull it out and go to napa? See what they have?

thanks dude, i did use heat shrink on all my crimps, i considered soldering it but my skills there are very lacking and i didn't want to practice in my engine bay just yet.

Does anyone know the size for the passenger head fan switch on the 1980 cars? I'm guessing it's either 3/8" or 1/2", should i just pull it out and go to napa? See what they have?

Just go to NAPA. I THINK it is 3/8"NPT, but it's been awhile now.